Senior Software Development Engineer - Cloud Platform Egnineering
Your work days are brighter here.
At Workday, it all began with a conversation over breakfast. When our founders met at a sunny California diner, they came up with an idea to revolutionize the enterprise software market. And when we began to rise, one thing that really set us apart was our culture. A culture which was driven by our value of putting our people first. And ever since, the happiness, development, and contribution of every Workmate is central to who we are. Our Workmates believe a healthy employee-centric, collaborative culture is the essential mix of ingredients for success in business. That’s why we look after our people, communities and the planet while still being profitable. Feel encouraged to shine, however that manifests: you don’t need to hide who you are. You can feel the energy and the passion, it's what makes us unique. Inspired to make a brighter work day for all and transform with us to the next stage of our growth journey? Bring your brightest version of you and have a brighter work day here.
About the TeamOur Product and Technology Services organization is growing fast, and we are looking for Software Engineers to join our team. We want passionate developers who love technology, upward mobility and want to make an impact.
Workday is growing rapidly and is expanding to regions around the world. To enable this growth, we are building an innovative Multi-cloud platform to host thousands of customers seamlessly across public and private clouds. We are responsible for the infrastructure layer of the Workday Public Cloud Platform that delivers and supports Workday products across private and public clouds (e.g. on-premise, AWS, GCP, Azure). We enable Workday's scale: ~50% of Fortune 500 companies, 8000+ customers, 55M+ Workers, ~365B Transactions.
The Cloud Platform Engineering team is responsible for designing, developing, and operating a Kubernetes based public cloud platform to host Workday’s applications.
Our team uses a variety of technologies including Kubernetes, Helm, AWS, GCP, Docker, Golang, Istio, ArgoCD and Tekton.
This team and the platform will empower Workday to deliver products to its customers faster while ensuring highly availability, security, performance and cost efficiency across major public clouds and its own private clouds.
About the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer you will work on design and implementation for the Cloud infrastructure and strategy and architecture for the team.
- Write code and automation to build, operate and maintain the orchestration of the platform.
- Build continuous delivery pipelines to provision/upgrade the platform across regions and clouds through automation.
- Be proactive to identify hotspots in the platform and address them before they trigger incidents.
- Be on top of capacity utilization and ensure capacity is available when the business needs it. Contribute to capacity forecasting.
- Enable cost governance by providing full cost transparency to team members; provide recommendations for cost efficiency.
- Collaborate with multi-functional partner teams and ensure the platform meets their requirements.
- Provide guidelines and standard processes to the multi-functional teams based on infrastructure principles; enable them to deliver services that are highly available, secure, performant and cost effective.
- Help build a successful team by coaching and mentoring team members.
Senior Software Development Engineer
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 5+ years of experience developing in a modern programming language (Golang, Ruby, Python, Java 8+, or Scala, Linux Scripting)
- 5+ years working with Kubernetes.
- 5+ years of experience with running server orchestration solutions in production (Kubernetes, Mesos, Docker Swarm, or other solutions)
- 5+ years of experience working with a cloud platform: AWS, GCP(preferred) or Azure
- In practice experience designing and building a microservice architecture and automation solutions
- Significant knowledge of Linux and Terraform
- Systems and Operations experience on a Public Cloud platform
- Continuous Delivery experience, owning your service through to production
- Experience in Agile environments/Agile development methodologies
- Knowledge of Storage, Networking, Systems, configuration management
- Foundational understanding of standard methodologies for Cloud Native infrastructure management and operations
- Sound understanding of CI/CD principles and standard methodologies
- Experience with a cloud platform: AWS, GCP(preferred) or Azure
Workday Pay Transparency Statement - United States
The annualized base salary ranges for the primary location and any additional locations in the United States (US) are listed below. Workday pay ranges vary based on work location. As a part of the total compensation package, this role may be eligible for the Workday Bonus Plan or a role-specific commission/bonus, as well as annual refresh stock grants. Recruiters can share more detail during the hiring process. Each candidate’s compensation offer will be based on multiple factors including, but not limited to, geography, experience, skills, job duties, and business need, among other things. For more information regarding Workday’s comprehensive benefits, please click here.
Primary Location Base Pay Range: $156,600 - $235,000
Additional US Location(s) Base Pay Range: $148,800 - $264,000
Our Approach to Flexible Work
With Flex Work, we’re combining the best of both worlds: in-person time and remote. Our approach enables our teams to deepen connections, maintain a strong community, and do their best work. We know that flexibility can take shape in many ways, so rather than a number of required days in-office each week, we simply spend at least half (50%) of our time each quarter in the office or in the field with our customers, prospects, and partners (depending on role). This means you'll have the freedom to create a flexible schedule that caters to your business, team, and personal needs, while being intentional to make the most of time spent together. Those in our remote "home office" roles also have the opportunity to come together in our offices for important moments that matter.
Pursuant to applicable Fair Chance law, Workday will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Workday is an Equal Opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Are you being referred to one of our roles? If so, ask your connection at Workday about our Employee Referral process!