Senior Customer Engineer
Who We Are
In today’s economy, an increasing number of workers are choosing to freelance. By 2027, half the U.S. workforce will be independent contractors. Yet there is no system of record for this vast self-employed community and the legions of businesses that increasingly rely on it. A new paradigm is needed to accommodate the future of work that is suddenly no longer in the future. That is what Wingspan is building.
Wingspan is the first payroll platform designed specifically for independent contractors and their businesses. We make onboarding, payments, and compliance easy for flexible workforces of all sizes. Whether you’re a one-person business or a large enterprise, Wingspan has you covered.
We’re a Series A startup based in NYC with backing from some of the best VCs and operators around, including Andreessen Horowitz (a16z) and the CEOs and founders of Warby Parker, Harry’s, Allbirds, Invision, and Flatiron Health.
Now we're hiring for you: an ambitious leader ready to help build, design, and support enterprise-grade software scaled to millions of individuals.
Are you ready to be part of a team redefining the future of work? Apply now!
As a Senior Customer Engineer, you will be responsible for the success of customer implementations, working directly with customers to understand their tech stack and assist them in integrating the Wingspan platform. You will partner with the product and technical implementation teams to design solutions based on existing API and integration capabilities. You will be responsible for collecting requirements, designing integration patterns, building and testing integrations, and configuring integrations with client-specific field mappings, translations, and transformations. Additionally, you will document existing integration architecture and methodologies to inform the pre-sales process.
- Work directly with customers to understand their tech stack and business requirements and recommend the best solution to meet their needs.
- Partner with Product and technical implementation teams to design solutions based on existing API and integration capabilities.
- Collect requirements, design integration patterns, build and test integrations, and configure integrations with client-specific field mappings, translations, and transformations.
- Be the technical point of contact for customers during the implementation and post-implementation phases, answering technical questions and providing guidance on how to best use Wingspan's platform.
- Debug issues and handle technical support, triaging issues and working with internal teams to resolve them quickly and effectively.
- Become an expert on Wingspan's product and work directly with customers to understand design and assist in building their integrations with Wingspan's API.
- Provide feedback to the product team on customer needs and requirements, helping to shape the future direction of Wingspan's platform.
- Create exception handling patterns to alert Wingspan of integration errors and create logging patterns to enable Product Support to assist clients directly.
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering on platform/API enhancements to support new integration paths.
- Work with clients to identify needs, troubleshoot issues and advise on best practice.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related work experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in Customer Engineering, Solution Engineering, Customer Success Engineering, or Implementation Engineering.
- Experience building out an integrations marketplace.
- Prior experience with ERP or Accounting software solutions, specifically in a developer, integration or implementation capacity.
- Strong software engineering abilities for a modern web app, including MongoDB, React, BigQuery, and Node.
- Expertise with iPaaS (e.g., Workato, Mulesoft, Snaplogic, Tray, Dell Boomi or Jitterbit).
- Prior experience working with relational databases and REST APIs.
- Familiarity with API development and integrations.
- Experience managing data pipelines, including cleansing, validation, and deduplication.
- Ability to surface technical API endpoints as easy-to-use connectors that functional consultants can use for development and deployment.
- Experience with API-like data (e.g., CSV files, SOAP, DBs).
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. At this time we are unable to transfer or sponsor visa.
- At Wingspan, we pride ourselves on offering a competitive and comprehensive compensation package that reflects our commitment to attracting top talent. The annual total compensation (this includes base and incentive pay) for this role ranges from $135,000-$155,000 and is accompanied by a target equity package and an extensive suite of benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance. All figures cited are in USD and pertain to workers located in the United States.
- We understand that each candidate brings a unique combination of skills, experience, and qualifications to the table, which is why we tailor our compensation packages based on factors such as expertise, years of experience, certifications, and other factors.
- Join us in our mission to innovate and excel, knowing that you will be valued and recognized for your job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Our comprehensive benefits and rewards are designed to help you thrive both professionally and personally, as we work together to shape the future of our industry.
Benefits & Perks
- Unlimited vacation
- Competitive stock option package
- $300 one-time WFH stipend
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k program (no matching at this time)
- Top of the line 14" Macbook Pro
- Travel stipend for team off-sites
**We appreciate candidates who are open and honest about what they’re looking for so we can ensure it’s a fit on both sides.**
To all recruitment firms we do not work with: Wingspan does not permit the submission of agency-provided resumes. Kindly refrain from sending resumes to our job-related email addresses and Wingspan staff members. Wingspan will not be held accountable for any charges associated with unsought resumes.
At Wingspan, we are an equal opportunity employer passionately dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We wholeheartedly believe that embracing diversity of perspectives and backgrounds is essential to building the best products and providing delightful experiences for our users and team members. We are proud to maintain an environment free from discrimination, retaliation, and harassment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, ancestry, ethnicity, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law or ordinance. As we strive for excellence, we are committed to ensuring fair employment practices and business dealings and rejecting any form of discrimination or retaliation. These protections and commitments extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, appraisal systems, promotions, training, and career development programs. Consistent with these obligations, Wingspan also provides reasonable accommodations to employees and applicants with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs, observances, and practices.
If you would like to request an accommodation as part of the application process, please contact [Clifton Jadoo at firstname.lastname@example.org].
Join us in our mission to create a company and products we love, as we celebrate our diverse workforce and promote an inclusive work environment that drives innovation and success.