Accounting & Finance
Palo Alto, CA, USA · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Wealthfront is seeking a Controller to join the finance and accounting team as a key leader and team member to help establish, maintain and execute financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems in a dynamic and high growth business. The Controller will be responsible for managing the monthly close, annual external audit, monitoring general accounting practices, developing accounting controls, and creating a scalable function. You will report to the Director of Accounting, working closely as a partner to the Assistant Controller, Director of Finance, and the Chief Financial Officer. The individual will perform a critical role interacting with senior executives as well as external third parties including partners, auditors, and regulators. You will combine a commitment to the company mission with a passion to lead a solutions-oriented team that partners on critical operating decisions throughout the organization.
- Lead audits with external auditors (e.g., lead technical accounting areas, memorandums, organize responses to PBCs, write footnotes to financial documents, and drive a well-organized process to ensure accurate and timely filings).
- Preparation of US GAAP disclosure checklists to ensure compliance of external financial statements and disclosures.
- Prevent inaccuracies in and maintain reliability of financial documents by setting up and maintaining internal control systems and embracing proper policies for financial reporting.
- Work with accounting staff to facilitate end-to-end, timely and accurate financial reporting processes at each subsidiary and on a consolidated basis.
- Prepare and review journal entries, account reconciliations, P&L and balance sheet flux and variance analysis.
- Improve processes to drive efficiency and effectiveness over corporate accounting and GL activities, specifically around intercompany allocations.
- Lead continuous process improvement projects, provide meaningful proposals and drive implementation.
- Assist both the CFO and the Director of Accounting in the establishment of a scalable firm-wide accounting function.
- Maintain positive relationships with regulators (including FINRA, SEC) and auditors by analyzing, researching and responding to inquiries in a timely and accurate manner.
- Liaise with accounting software, system vendors, and consultants as required and make recommendations as to ways we can automate and enhance our accounting operations through the implementation of new systems.
- 9-12 years of experience, some public company experience and/or taking a company public is a plus.
- BA/BS required in Finance or Accounting; CPA strongly preferred.
- Series 27 or willingness to get licensed is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite, NetSuite, Bill.com, Carta, Expensify.
- You have expert technical knowledge of US GAAP, technical accounting, PCAOB Audit standards/requirements, SEC reporting, COSO internal control framework, and other regulatory requirements.
- Experience with multiple subsidiaries, intercompany allocations/eliminations.
- In depth knowledge and experience with ASC 606/ ASC 842 / ASC 718 / ASC 350.
- Unquestionable ethics.
- Shown ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization.
- Uncompromising attention to detail with the ability to communicate to the level of detail appropriate to the situation and audience.
- Ability to problem-solve and actively address issues in a professional and effective manner.
- Enthusiasm to apply technology to business processes.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set and meet deadlines in a high paced environment.
- Self-starter who regularly takes initiative and can juggle multiple projects while simultaneously demonstrating creativity and judgment.
- Takes pride in meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations on quality of output.
- Customer-centric business philosophy and team-oriented mindset.
Estimated annual salary range: $175,000 - $195,000 USD plus equity and a discretionary bonus.
Benefits include medical, vision, dental, 401K plan, generous time off, parental leave, wellness reimbursements, professional development, employee investing discount, and more!
Everyone across the financial spectrum deserves to live secure and rewarding lives. In order to successfully serve clients across the United States, the Wealthfront team is focused on hiring team members with a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Wealthfront started with the ambition to transform the investment advisory business, with the goal to unlock access to high quality investment advice for millions who were underserved by the traditional institutions. We built the first automated investment product that allows you to invest in a personalized portfolio of thousands of companies in seconds for a remarkably low fee; we then expanded into banking which made it remarkably easy for people to automate their finances end-to-end and eliminated the hassle of money management, all of which resulted in attracting more than $50 billion of our client’s hard earned savings, created the robo-advisor category and transformed the broader industry. And yet, we have a long way to go to achieve our mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions.
Wealthfront’s vision is to make it delightfully easy to build long-term wealth on your own terms. This vision is more relevant than ever because millions more people are getting into the market early and investing their hard earned savings in a handful of stocks. While this is a great way to start, it is inconsistent with building long-term wealth. We want to empower young investors to expand their horizon, and easily explore and execute on a wider range of investing strategies, make informed investment decisions that are consistent with their values and beliefs while also making it effortless to grow and compound their savings exponentially, that’s transformational to their lives and their long-term future.
Please review our candidate privacy notice