Senior Staff Content Designer, Investing
Palo Alto, CA, USA · Remote
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
About the role
Wealthfront is looking for a senior staff content designer to help chart the future vision for our investing product. Wealthfront pioneered automated investing by offering broad access to sophisticated investing strategies at a fraction of the cost of traditional financial advisers. But that was only the beginning of a much broader vision for how our investing product can serve our mission to build a financial system that favors people over institutions. Since then, we’ve continued to expand the ways we help our clients build long-term wealth through saving and investing. Your role will be to work alongside the cross-functional leadership on the Investing team to develop the strategy, vision, and language for how this new ecosystem of products works together. This is a best-in-class content design leader who is a systems-thinker, exceptional writer, and passionate about solving problems of all sizes and levels of complexity through the unique skill-set of content design.
Success in this role will require excellent communication skills, cross functional leadership, strategic thinking, a high bar for craft, and executional excellence. We’re looking for a content design leader who is equally excited to tackle large ambiguous problems as they are to get in the weeds helping us build an excellent product experience. A passion for investing or experience building consumer financial technology products is highly desirable.
You will support other content designers learn how to improve and scale the impact of their work throughout the product development cycle. You’ll empower other content designers to develop clear rationale for their decisions and solutions. You will also introduce team members to content frameworks and ways of thinking about content design that help the team as a whole evolve their craft and strategic thinking.
You’ll also collaborate very closely with cross-functional counterparts on product design, user research, product management, engineering, legal and compliance to solve some of the most complex challenges around our investing products. You’ll shape product experiences that solve for a more holistic set of investing needs and aim to improve the financial outcomes of people we serve.
You’ll also partner with our creative brand team to craft our brand voice and tone, and bring it to life across our product experiences. You’ll champion content that’s empowering, enlightening and authentic, but adjust tone based on where the client is in their journey.
You should genuinely care for our mission to “build a financial system that favors people, not institutions” and be a zealous advocate for client needs. This genuine passion motivates you to proactively identify areas that require greater attention, bring solutions to address them and mobilize more people to prioritize the improvements.
Design at Wealthfront
Unlike many companies where design teams are trained to make incremental changes and work through a chain of hierarchy to advocate for bold new ideas, the design team at Wealthfront is expected to be innovative, creative and strategic, because design and content are critical to realizing our vision.
We’re empathetic people advocates. We're interested in what our clients need to know, and what they don't. We organize and present content in the most straightforward, useful, and inclusive way. And we’re not just wordsmiths (although we are good at that, too). We partner strategically with our product management and product design counterparts to shape client experiences.
Content designers are expected to define problems, new opportunities and solutions that are deeply rooted in human psychology and behavior as well as a sound understanding of our technology and business, all in very tight collaboration with engineers, product managers, researchers, legal, and data scientists. In an environment where we’re making big bets, and innovation is encouraged, we embrace failure and care much more about the magnitude of success versus percentage of times we are successful. And unlike many organizations, content and design are equal partners to engineering and product and plays an important role in the executive staff that collectively make all critical strategic decisions.
We’re a remote friendly team and open to candidates in the US.
- 8+ years of content design experience in a consumer software company; experience in building financial technology products is a plus.
- Willing to get into the details to drive high-quality decision-making. You’re first and foremost an exceptional product thinker.
- Has a portfolio that demonstrates how a range of content challenges, solutions to which led to clear and streamlined customer experiences for web and mobile
- Mastery with content standards and best practices for web and mobile interfaces
- Experience working in consumer tech companies shipping exceptional quality products in a fast paced environment
- Is a self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects across teams and navigate ambiguity
- Proven track record setting a vision for great customer experiences, inspiring others to get behind the vision, and ultimately delivering products and services that are known for their delightful experience and ease of use.
- Utilizes excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills to build positive relationships across teams/groups/functions to deliver great results and consistently "raise the bar"
- Deep curiosity and interest about fintech
Mindset that excels at Wealthfront
- Someone who embraces complexity, loves engaging in intellectually rigorous discussions, critically evaluates trade-off, both from a customer and business perspective
- Someone who turns ambiguity into clarity and navigates the organization to drive alignment
- Someone who consistently thinks about the company and team first and has the resilience to work tough situations, steps up and leads the team
- Someone who goes above and beyond to make others around them successful
- Someone who is enterprising and also demonstrates high agency. You don’t wait for change but instead move with urgency and come to the table with proposals on how to improve
- Someone who deeply cares about learning and growing with the company
Estimated annual salary range: $190,000 - $250,000 USD plus equity and a discretionary bonus.
Benefits include medical, vision, dental, 401K plan, generous time off, parental leave, wellness reimbursements, professional development, employee investing discount, and more!
Wealthfront started with the ambition to transform the investment advisory business, with the goal to unlock access to high quality investment advice for millions who were underserved by the traditional institutions. We built the first automated investment product that allows you to invest in a personalized portfolio of thousands of companies in seconds for a remarkably low fee; we then expanded into banking which made it remarkably easy for people to automate their finances end-to-end and eliminated the hassle of money management, all of which resulted in attracting more than $50 billion of our client’s hard earned savings, created the robo-advisor category and transformed the broader industry. And yet, we have a long way to go to achieve our mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions.
Wealthfront’s vision is to make it delightfully easy to build long-term wealth on your own terms. This vision is more relevant than ever because millions more people are getting into the market early and investing their hard earned savings in a handful of stocks. While this is a great way to start, it is inconsistent with building long-term wealth. We want to empower young investors to expand their horizon, and easily explore and execute on a wider range of investing strategies, make informed investment decisions that are consistent with their values and beliefs while also making it effortless to grow and compound their savings exponentially, that’s transformational to their lives and their long-term future.
For more information please visit www.wealthfront.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please review our candidate privacy notice