Principal Product Designer, Investing
Palo Alto, CA, USA · Remote
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
About the role
Wealthfront is looking for a principal product designer to chart the future vision for our investing product. Wealthfront pioneered automated investing by offering broad access to sophisticated investing strategies at a fraction of the cost of traditional financial advisers. But that was only the beginning of a much broader vision for how our investing product can serve our mission to build a financial system that favors people over institutions. Since then, we’ve continued to expand the ways we help our clients build long-term wealth through saving and investing. Your role will be to work alongside the cross-functional leadership on the Investing team to develop and execute the strategic vision for how this new ecosystem of products works together. You’ll leverage quantitative and qualitative research to inform your strategy, lead collaboration and vision sprints to help build a shared view of where we can go, and set the tone for our quality bar across the product.
Success in this role will require strong communication skills, strategic thinking, vision facilitation, a high bar for craft, and executional excellence. We’re looking for a design leader who is equally excited to tackle large ambiguous problems to craft a new vision as they are to get in the weeds helping us build an excellent product experience. A passion for investing or experience building consumer financial technology products is highly desirable.
Design at Wealthfront
Unlike many companies where designers are trained to make incremental changes and work through a chain of hierarchy to advocate for bold new ideas, designers at Wealthfront are expected to be innovative, creative and strategic, because design is critical to realizing our vision. Designers are expected to define problems, new opportunities and solutions that are deeply rooted in human psychology and behavior as well as a sound understanding of our technology and business, all in very tight collaboration with engineers, product managers, researchers and data scientists. In an environment where we’re making big bets, and innovation is encouraged, we embrace failure and care much more about the magnitude of success versus percentage of times we are successful. And unlike many organizations, design is an equal partner to engineering and product and plays an important role in the executive staff that collectively make all critical strategic decisions.
We’re a remote friendly team and open to candidates in the US.
- 10+ years of product design experience in a consumer software company; experience in building financial technology products is a plus.
- Willing to get into the details to drive high-quality decision-making. You’re first and foremost an exceptional product thinker who takes a deep interest in understanding the business.
- Deep knowledge of user experience methods, innovation, ideation, storytelling, prototyping, design frameworks, concept visualization, problem-framing skills and design principles.
- Proven track record setting a vision for great customer experiences, inspiring others to get behind a vision, translating a vision into a prioritized roadmap, and ultimately delivering high quality experiences to bring the team’s vision to customers. .
- Utilizes excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills to build positive relationships across teams/groups/functions to deliver great results and consistently "raise the bar"
- Demonstrated ability to plan, manage, and drive projects from beginning to end
- Deep curiosity and interest about fintech
Mindset that excels at Wealthfront
- Someone who embraces complexity, loves engaging in intellectually rigorous discussions, critically evaluates trade-off, both from a customer and business perspective
- Someone who turns ambiguity into clarity and navigates the organization to drive alignment
- Someone who consistently thinks about the company and team first and has the resilience to work tough situations, steps up and leads the team
- Someone who goes above and beyond to make others around them successful
- Someone who is enterprising and also demonstrates high agency. You don’t wait for change but instead move with urgency and come to the table with proposals on how to improve
- Someone who deeply cares about learning and growing with the company
Estimated annual salary range: $235,000 - $275,000 USD plus equity and a discretionary bonus.
Benefits include medical, vision, dental, 401K plan, generous time off, parental leave, wellness reimbursements, professional development, employee investing discount, and more!
Wealthfront started with the ambition to transform the investment advisory business, with the goal to unlock access to high quality investment advice for millions who were underserved by the traditional institutions. We built the first automated investment product that allows you to invest in a personalized portfolio of thousands of companies in seconds for a remarkably low fee; we then expanded into banking which made it remarkably easy for people to automate their finances end-to-end and eliminated the hassle of money management, all of which resulted in attracting more than $50 billion of our client’s hard earned savings, created the robo-advisor category and transformed the broader industry. And yet, we have a long way to go to achieve our mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions.
Wealthfront’s vision is to make it delightfully easy to build long-term wealth on your own terms. This vision is more relevant than ever because millions more people are getting into the market early and investing their hard earned savings in a handful of stocks. While this is a great way to start, it is inconsistent with building long-term wealth. We want to empower young investors to expand their horizon, and easily explore and execute on a wider range of investing strategies, make informed investment decisions that are consistent with their values and beliefs while also making it effortless to grow and compound their savings exponentially, that’s transformational to their lives and their long-term future.
For more information please visit www.wealthfront.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please review our candidate privacy notice