Underwriting Assistant (Chicago)
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our high-growth and innovative customers. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch is a Virtual First Workplace with San Francisco and Chicago office locations. While this role has remote-work flexibility, this role will ideally be based in Chicago to attend in-person collaboration and team events. This role will work through our core collaboration hours (8:30 am - 2:30 pm Pacific Time.)
This position is not eligible for employment in the following locations: San Francisco or NYC metro areas.
Vouch seeks a creative, motivated, detail-oriented, and innovative Underwriting Assistant to join our team. In this role, you will provide crucial support to the underwriting team by assessing insurance applications, evaluating risks, and ensuring compliance with established underwriting guidelines. Your attention to detail, strong communication skills, and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously will be essential for success in this position.
- Triaging submissions based on underwriting guidelines and procedures and ensuring that accounts are routed to the appropriate Underwriter
- Based on pre-set parameters, underwriting core New Business accounts
- Manage the Pre-renewal Process to ensure that all accounts are reviewed within specified time frames
- Based on pre-set parameters, manage the Renewal process for specific accounts
- Ensuring that all internal service level agreements (SLAs) are adhered to and goals met or exceeded
- Conduct background research and gather relevant information on Clients to aid in the underwriting decision-making process
- Create electronic underwriting files by compiling and organizing all underwriting data and information, including internal and external correspondence, application information, policy documents, claims information, and other relevant documentation
- Collaborate with various internal teams, such as claims and legal, to gather additional information and resolve any underwriting-related issues
- Work closely with the Policy Administration team to ensure that all Client requests for mid-term changes to policies and other policy management activities, like endorsements, cancellations, certificates of insurance, and renewals, are handled in a timely and appropriate manner
- 2+ years of experience in Commercial Property/Casualty Insurance
- Previous experience in insurance underwriting, preferably as an underwriting assistant or in a similar role
- Demonstrated interest in commercial insurance products, especially Professional Liability, Cyber, Property, and General Liability
- Demonstrated knowledge of insurance principles, policies, and procedures
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to interpret complex data and make sound decisions
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to work meticulously and accurately within established guidelines
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to articulate underwriting decisions and explain complex concepts to both internal and external stakeholders
- Proficient in using underwriting software and other relevant tools
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- High level of professionalism and integrity, with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective relationships with team members and external stakeholders
Nice to have:
- Exposure to and passion for early-stage startups and/or high-growth environments
- A background in insurance or other regulated categories
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
The pay range for this role is: $50,000 to $60,000 per year.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits and other perks.
We also include stock options in all compensation packages and believe all Vouch employees should have the opportunity to become owners in the company.
Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skill set, location, and business need. The base pay range provided is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Vouch believes in putting our people first, and building a diverse team is at the front of everything we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ranges of abilities. We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.