Principal Software Engineer, Payments
Very Good Security
Very Good Security (“VGS”) makes it easy for customers to collect, protect and share sensitive financial data in a way that accelerates revenue, eliminates risk, ensures compliance, and drives profitability. We are on a mission to protect the world’s payment information and are seeking global talent to support our portfolio of payment security solutions including VGS Vault, PCI Compliance as a Service (PCIaaS), Payment Optimization. and Card Issuance Products.
VGS delivers a modern solution to collect, protect, and exchange sensitive data that spans from data privacy to payment acceptance and card issuance; providing businesses with tokenization, PCI compliance, data security, processor optionality, and the ability to operate on that data without compromising their security posture. VGS delivers a modern payments security solution that gives businesses ownership and control over critically valuable customer data, granting them maximum portability, operationally and value extraction to seamlessly drive expansion, and quickly build new financial products.
We are looking for a well-versed and passionate Principal software Engineer for our Payments team, which is responsible for Network Tokens, Account Updater, and Payment Orchestration across multiple PSPs. This position will report to the Sr. Engineering Manager, Payments.
We’re seeking individuals with an equal flair for creative problem solving, enthusiasm for new technologies, and desire to contribute to our product. You will likely be successful in this role if you identify with the following traits: attention to detail, problem solver, customer oriented, versatile, resilient and confident. If all of this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to hear from you.
What will you be doing at VGS
- Collaborate and communicate with Platform Engineering teams to design, develop, and champion best-practices, patterns and standards for all cloud infrastructure.
- Work closely with our CTO and other architects to create holistic technology solutions for our customers. This requires an equal part collaboration with the product management and engineering management.
- Produce clear, detailed and actionable design documents, architecture blueprints, architectural decisions with context, decision and tradeoffs.
- Be involved in hands-on development of proof-of-concepts, prototypes, and real production-ready code.
- Mentor engineers on architecture best practices and standards.
- Engage in all phases of the software lifecycle- design, implement, test, deploy, and support services in production.
- Maintain a culture of code quality through rigorous testing, automation, and code reviews.
- Be proactive and innovative- we rely on your feedback to build a world-class product.
- Be a part of a team that believes in the core values of transparency, collaboration, grit, and humility; in going above and beyond what is required in order to do the right thing for our customers and the company; and in having fun while doing all this!
What we are looking for from you (Requirements)
- 12+ years experience in hands-on software development preferably in a product company.
- Hands-on experience in software architecture, design and development in a Cloud SaaS environment.
- Solid understanding of cloud-native architecture, microservices, Infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, CloudFormation, CDK), CI/CD (CircleCI, GitHub Actions, Argo), GitOps, Authentication and Authorization, APIs and API Gateway, Docker, Kubernetes (EKS), Kafka (MSK), Java, Spring Framework, Python, and AWS services.
- Strong experience in Observability solutions using Grafana, Honeycomb, Prometheus, DataDog and Open Telemetry.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
What’s unique about VGS
- We’re a quickly scaling company with a startup mindset.
- We love to empower our people to take ownership! You’ll find you are given the freedom and will own the responsibility to be successful here.
- We’re creating a remote-first philosophy. You’ll have a strong impact on a new cultural shift within the company.
What you get from us
- Flexible work hours and flexible PTO
- Competitive health benefits
- VGS stock options
- 401k plan, with employer matching 4% and immediate vesting of employer match (available only for US employees)
- Life & disability insurance
- Pre-tax flexible spending accounts, dependent and healthcare FSA (available only for US employees)
- Global parental leave program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Home Internet reimbursement
- New hire home office set up allowance
- Professional learning reimbursement
The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $185,000 - $230,000 per year. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions.
At Very Good Security, we have a remote first philosophy. We are actively hiring for fully remote positions, so you can work from the comfort of your own workspace!
We value great talent. Striving to provide the best experience for our candidates VGS appreciates your candidacy. We consider applicants without regards to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or other protected classes under all local, state, and federal laws and ordinances (AA/EOE/W/M/Vet/Disabled).
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
VGS will not be able to support any kind of employment sponsorships at this time.