This is a flexible position and has the option of working in our Toronto office full time, hybrid throughout the week or working entirely remotely. #LI-Remote
About the role:
Join our dynamic team as an Assistant Controller - this is a pivotal role in the Finance team where you will manage a small team to drive financial excellence, foster strategic partnerships, and make an impact by engaging with both internal and external stakeholders. To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have strong sense of finance & audit fundamentals, and a positive attitude while maintaining a sense of urgency for our organizational needs.
What you will do:
- Working in tandem with the Director of Financial Reporting and Controllership, support the annual audit by reviewing and/or preparing working papers, reconciliations, and other information as needed. Coordinate with the external auditors to manage the financial statement audits by gathering and providing requested information timely and accurately.
- Responsible for preparing materials for the board meetings, government filings and other external reporting requirements (such as investor and government filings).
- Standing up legal entity reporting with standalone financial statements.
- Ownership of the month end close process which includes meeting deadlines and analyzing and reporting to management on the results monthly.
- Manage the accounting and reporting team with respect to daily finance activities and overseeing the entire general ledger, along with day-to-day ERP management.
- Provide training and support to your direct reports.
- Play an active role in updating/implementing accounting policies and procedures to respond to changes in the Company’s business and accounting standards.
- Assist with driving the change and continuing transformation of the finance function into a first-class organization, which would include amongst others, designing & documenting control processes and procedures, operating procedures, governance and training materials.
- Provide training and support to the broader finance function on matters such as control documentation, process improvements and significant accounting transactions.
- Support the Director of Financial Reporting and Controllership in other strategic projects and ad hoc initiatives as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Does this sound like you?:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant field
- 5-7 years experience in accounting
- Previous experience in a people management position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- You possess excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Accuracy and attention to detail while working under tight deadlines
Not checking every box?
Sounds like the job for you, but you don’t think you have what it takes on paper? Reach out to us anyway! We’re aware that members of marginalized groups typically apply only when they check every box. Vena is an inclusive workplace that considers all applicants. We value diversity—in professional backgrounds and in experiences—and are committed to providing equal opportunity and a sense of belonging for all employees and applicants. Let’s discover together whether you could be a great fit at Vena.
Why choose Vena?
- Total Rewards: Grow with Vena and celebrate its success with our Employee Stock Option Program (ESOP). We look ahead and invest in your future with our Retirement Savings Matching Program. We also provide comprehensive health benefits through our employer group plan effective from day one.
- Unique Culture: Join us in our ongoing commitment to build a diverse and inclusive workplace. Every voice, action and idea matters at Vena.
- Career Growth: We invest in your job training, professional development and continuing education and offer an Education Subsidy. Pursue your interests and chart your growth towards a new position on your current team or a new one. Vena had 240+ employee promotions and internal moves to new roles in 2022!
- Executive Leadership: Be inspired by our executive leadership as they lead and motivate our team.
- Read what employees say about working at Vena!
Please note: All interviews will be conducted using Zoom. We believe everyone should get to work from a location that suits their job and lifestyle the best, whether that is at home, in office, or a hybrid.