Staff Software Engineer, Backend
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2023
Vartana is the revenue acceleration platform for top-tier enterprise technology companies. We empower sales and finance to accelerate the deal cycle without compromising cash flow through our flexible payment options and collaborative sales closing platform. Our platform is trusted by leading enterprise companies, including Motive, Domo, Samsara, and many others, as the platform of choice to make products affordable and easy to purchase for their customers.
We have raised over $40M to deliver on our vision and are backed by top-tier investors, including Activant Capital, Mayfield, and Audacious Ventures.
As a backend engineer, you'll be vital in developing the backend architecture and services supporting our multiple backend apps.
- Build the next generation of our B2B Commerce platform, build APIs and data models that help us build innovative and embeddable experiences.
- Design, implement, and operate our most critical and scalable services - ranging from Underwriting, Servicing, Capital Marketplace, and Closing platform. Build and evolve complex data models used by our various services.
- Work across teams to understand product requirements, evaluate trade-offs, and deliver the solutions needed to build innovative products with a strong customer focus.
- Write high-quality code and contribute with peers on code reviews, technical design, and problem-solving.
- Join on-call rotation, driving continuous improvements on system availability, scalability, performance, and efficiency. Manage deployments and monitor runtime metrics to identify code & environment issues.
- Proactively advocate for and apply best practices regarding availability, scalability, operational excellence, observability, and cost management.
- Provide technical leadership, influence fellow engineers, and role model solid engineering practices to a distributed team of engineers.
- Take an active role in mentoring engineers in the team, and partner with your manager to improve the processes that support team growth and efficiency.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science and Engineering.
- 8+ years of experience working on backend systems, with at least 5+ years of technical leadership roles leading project teams, setting technical direction and experience mentoring senior engineers.
- Prior experience in architecting, building, launching and maintaining large and complex systems.
- Advanced knowledge in one of the following industry-standard languages: Ruby on Rails, Python, Java or Go. Experience with NoSQL solutions, SQL (e.g. PostgreSQL) and Caching technologies (e.g. Redis / Memcache).
- Ability to bring best practices from across the world of software engineering and adapt them to the backend environment.
- You understand the operational aspects of your work and participate in incident investigation and resolution.
- Experience providing high-quality reviews on teammates' code and designs, providing constructive feedback to meet a high bar of quality, and helping others grow.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written, and verbal communication. Ability to collaborate and work well with others. A humble team player who places the needs of others first and participates in developing peers on the team.
- Design and business acumen: You understand requirements beyond the written words and can influence product improvements using data insights.
- (Nice to have) Experience building software for B2B or in the Payments / Finance / Fintech industry.
Vartana is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.