Accounting & Finance
Charlotte, NC, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
Varo is building a world-class Internal Audit Function. As Varo’s third line of defense, the Internal Audit Team will provide independent assurance on Varo’s governance, risk management practices, and internal controls. We will also conduct special advisory projects. As Varo is the first consumer fintech to get a national bank charter in the United States, we are seeking skilled and highly motivated professionals who want to be part of building a new audit function for technology and data-driven business model in a regulated financial services sector.
As Senior Auditor you will assist in the planning, design, and testing of the internal controls for financial reporting. This includes processes such as accounting, accounts payable, financial reporting, lending, payroll, treasury, and tax. payment operations. You will be an experienced internal auditor, have demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles, auditing techniques, applicable industry standards, laws, regulations, and best practices, and will be able to communicate audit results. We are looking for someone who is well organized, analytical, a quick learner, and can adapt and work across different areas of the business.
What you’ll be doing
- Involved in planning and executing the process, operations, and financial audits for various functions, areas, and business processes within Varo
- Perform risk and control evaluations to assigned business areas to assess potential weaknesses in-process controls, consumer protection, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Participate in walkthroughs and meetings with key business partners
- Perform testing of key controls and document results
- Effectively communicate the results of audit work
- Contribute to the audit methodology and development of the annual plan
- Develop and maintain productive client and team relationships
- Complete all work assigned on a timely basis, including ad hoc projects
- Monitor progress of management's committed action plans and validate closure of remediated audit issues and regulatory findings
- Conduct all audit work in accordance with Internal Audit policies and procedures, the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) “International Professional Practices Framework” (IPPF), and applicable regulatory guidelines
You’ll bring the following required skills and experiences
- 3+ years of internal audit experience, including operational audits, financial reviews, or attestation
- Internal Audit experience working in a financial or payments institution
- Experience in Internal Controls for Financial Reporting (ICFR) or Sarbanes Oxley (SOX)
- Knowledge of various business practices and regulations such as NACHA, FDICIA and FFIEC guidelines
- Auditing knowledge of internal audit processes, practices, and methods
- Ability to evaluate and enhance processes and internal controls
- Proven history of accuracy and attention to detail with minimal oversight and errors
- Bachelor or Masters degree from an accredited university or equivalent education and experience, including military service, in the absence of a degree
- Professional designation such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or equivalent are desired but not necessary
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all-digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the pertinent information and contact information.
CCPA Notice at Collection for California Employees and Applicants: