Sr. Machine Learning Engineer
Charlotte, NC, USA
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
About the AI/ML Team
The Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) engineering team at Varo is passionate about helping customers improve their financial lives with modern state-of-the-art AI and ML technology with fairness, accountability, and explainability embedded into it. You’ll join the team that improves user engagement and revenue generation by leveraging machine learning, cloud platforms and big data to combat fraud, improve member experience, create user recommendations and much more. If you are interested in working with an impressive team of Software and Machine Learning engineers who collaborate and challenge each other and want to solve interesting problems to propel the company’s growth, apply now!
What you'll be doing
- Build feature pipelines/embeddings for batch and real-time data
- Add functionality for the data science team to improve model training, evaluation, and batch inference at scale
- Build and deploy production ML models (model training, batch and real time inference)
- Improve model monitoring and alerting
- Work on services that are implemented in Python and Java/Kotlin
- Accelerate ML development as the team scales up alongside Varo’s increasing adoption of ML solutions
- Design, implement, and own APIs and integrations between our ML model inference services and the company’s broader engineering systems
- Design, develop, and advocate for ML platform observability, scalability, security, and performance
- Work in a cross-functional capacity with data science, product, and business stakeholders
- Solve problems in many different areas, including risk, fraud, lending, engagement, operations, and customer acquisition
You'll bring the following required skills and experiences
- Must be proficient in a JVM language (Java, Kotlin, Scala) — technical interview will be in one of these languages
- Bachelor's degree (or foreign equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field & 3 years of experience involving machine learning systems and model building.
- Strong programming and software engineering skills
- Experience with some of the following technologies: Java/Kotlin, Python, gRPC, Terraform, Spring, AWS (Sagemaker, Glue), Kubernetes, Airflow, Spark, databases (DynamoDB, Postgres, Athena), Kafka, Docker, ML tools/frameworks (Keras, Tensorflow, SparkML, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.), Grafana, Kibana
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams (e.g. making complex ML concepts easy to understand, getting buy-in from stakeholders, getting and giving feedback to teammates, etc.)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field is preferred
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all-digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the pertinent information and contact information.
CCPA Notice at Collection for California Employees and Applicants: