Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2023
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
Varo’s Legal team is responsible for all things “legal” at Varo. This means that we support the business by identifying and highlighting any legal risks, interpreting law and providing compliance recommendations, conducting contract reviews and negotiations, support for licensing, Varo IP asset management, Varo Product reviews, drafting product disclosure, support for corporate financing rounds, managing shareholder communications, engaging directly with regulatory bodies, and more. We also manage our team of outside counsels, maintain a repository of all legal documents, and are responsible for Varo’s Privacy and other policies.
Our team is seeking an exceptional attorney to focus on providing legal guidance on financial product development initiatives. You will work with other departments as we develop new products, negotiate partner agreements, and advise on legal risk and regulatory compliance. In addition, you will help maintain Varo’s governance policies with respect to products and regulatory matters. We are looking for a highly adaptable, organized, and self-motivated individual who has a creative legal mind, amazing attention to detail and is inspired by Varo’s mission. At Varo we believe that banking shouldn’t just work for some of us, it should work for all of us.
*To be considered for this position, candidates must reside near either Charlotte, NC, or Salt Lake City, UT*
What you’ll be doing
- Partner with and support our marketing team by advising on marketing collateral and product claims
- Provide ideas, solutions, and insights and advise the product teams on compliant new products that meaningfully impact our customers
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, and banking and advertising laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Negotiate and draft contracts with product partners and suppliers to support product initiatives
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships with the business and others on the legal team
- Engage regularly as a key stakeholder with operations, fraud, and risk teams to maintain awareness of operations or customer experience issues and help prioritize issues for resolution to drive continuous improvement with Varo’s product offerings.
- Work cross-functionally on a variety of legal matters to support business development and innovation
- Lead and support special projects
- Work closely with our internal product, business, tax, accounting, and compliance teams, as well as with external advisors and experts
You’ll bring the following required skills and experiences
- J.D. with top academic credentials
- Admitted and in good and active standing to practice law in California, Utah, or North Carolina
- 5+ years’ experience with banking product and consumer laws in a major law firm
- Highly intelligent as well as a high EQ with exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships
- Excellent written, verbal, and analytical skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to interact with legal and business leaders internally and externally
- Process-oriented with a desire for constant improvement and development of best practices
- Strong integrity and commitment to ethics
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all-digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the pertinent information and contact information.
CCPA Notice at Collection for California Employees and Applicants: