Staff Mobile Engineer, Android
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2023
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
The Android team at Varo is responsible for the building and maintaining the Varo Bank App on Android devices. Our primary focus is to create a robust, testable and delightful app that will help our customers manage their financial life. We work closely with our iOS and GraphQL developers as well as design and product teams.
What you'll be doing
- Act as a front-end architect for one or more of our product verticals
- Lead technical and architectural decisions, document design decisions and communicate with the engineering team
- Collaborate with product managers, designers and engineers to develop innovative solutions for Varo Bank App
- Optimize and maintain the performance of the Android app
- Work closely with the iOS and Graphql teams to plan and execute improvements to our mobile architecture and development process
- Write unit and functional tests to ensure high quality and stability of the app
- Coach and mentor mobile engineers.
You'll bring the following required skills and experiences
- 8+ years of industry experience in Android development
- Proficiency in Android app development using Kotlin
- Solid understanding of Android frameworks, design patterns and best practices
- Experience in building and shipping high quality, user friendly Android app using Kotlin
- Excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with the team members
- Strong focus on writing high quality and testable code
- Good understanding of both GraphQL and REST, with experience in integrating mobile applications with back-end services
- Experience using Jira, Confluence, and Git
- Understanding of Agile development process
- Basic understanding of HTTP, AWS, and Linux to help troubleshoot issues during integration testing between UI and backend
- KMM and iOS experience is a plus
- Financial industry experience
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all-digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the pertinent information and contact information.
CCPA Notice at Collection for California Employees and Applicants: