Director of Product Design
Charlotte, NC, USA
Posted on Friday, August 4, 2023
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
We are a growing, ambitious, customer-obsessed group of creatives, researchers, writers, designers, developers and thinkers who are breaking the model of the banking experience. We believe that financial institutions can provide great products, services, education to everyone; not only the wealthy. We are the team responsible for delivering on the Varo vision at every touchpoint, from every campaign to every product experience.
We are seeking a Director of Product Design who thrives in dynamic, rapid-growth environments and deeply believes in the transformative power of design. With a collaborative and open-minded approach, you will lead a team, fostering mentorship and growth, while staying user-centered and data-informed. Your positive outlook and passion for learning drive you to create exceptional user experiences that positively impact millions of lives. If you are a proactive and motivated design leader, eager to make a meaningful difference, this role offers an exciting opportunity to shape the future and drive innovation.
What you'll be doing
- Shape, articulate, and execute on a vision to help Varo customers make progress and live better with their money; rooted in a customer-centric mindset and a passion to progress and disrupt banking as experienced today
- Partner closely with Varo Tech leadership to facilitate experience discussions that weigh in on the roadmap; contribute to the overall direction of the product experience, and lead through excellence in delivery
- Manage, mentor, and inspire the design organization to strive for innovation through relentless pursuit of quality and value for our customers
- Create and deepen a design culture that is rooted in curiosity, team orientation, and healthy critique
- Hire top talent and develop career paths tailored to individual team members professional development
- Work closely with front-end engineering leadership to ensure that we are shipping high-quality experiences that achieve impeccable fit and finish
- Ensure operational efficiency and accountability for product design
- Collaborate closely with User Research, Brand, and Creative teams to deliver a cohesive end-to-end experience that carries a single-threaded message
You'll bring the following required skills and experiences
- 10+ years of experience in a highly cross-functional IC role, running strategic projects from idea through implementation
- 2+ years leading & mentoring UX teams
- Proven experience shipping consumer desktop and mobile experiences
- An outstanding portfolio
- Deep understanding of developing, evolving design systems
- Mastery of Figma, Sketch, Adobe CS, Keynote, and other design tools
- Comfortable facilitating and planning out different human-centered design methods and practices to unlock problems and solutions
- Great listener with excellent written and verbal communication skills
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all-digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail email@example.com with the pertinent information and contact information.
CCPA Notice at Collection for California Employees and Applicants: