Senior Software Engineer, Lending Partnerships Platform
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Lending Partnerships Platform Engineering team is responsible for creating and maintaining a world class platform for our lending partners (banks and credit unions). This team focuses on developing new features that directly benefit our lending partners, contributing to expansion and creation of new business opportunities. Additionally, this team plays a pivotal role in connecting lenders and borrowers and ensuring that our platform optimizes the lenders’ time.
As a Senior Software Engineer in Upstart, you’re a leader who can work across the whole stack, who doesn’t need roads paved for you before you take action. You can work in the frontend (React) or the backend (Ruby on Rails), but you might specialize in one. You’re an individual contributor who uses tech to ply your craft, but you excel at thinking like a product manager and a business owner when needed. You can handle high-stakes calls with 3rd parties and customers, and you thrive on making decisions that impact not just how we build but what we build. Finally, you’re a mentor, and you take seriously the responsibility to coach and grow each of the engineers around you.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates across all US time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Quarter at an Upstart office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Lead successful cross-team and/or multi-quarter, multi-engineer projects
- Move quickly to drive both existing and greenfield projects forward, while always keeping our end users in mind
- Proactively search out ways to expand impact that extends well beyond the Jira board
- Turn team-specific projects into opportunities to up-level the team and the org’s tech platform
- Help us build our engineering team and make Upstart a genuinely awesome place to work
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 7+ years of professional experience as a full-stack engineer
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Technical leadership experience with deep understanding of code release, deployment orchestration / rollout mechanisms, logging, instrumentation, monitoring, and alerting in a microservices environment
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying microservices-based applications
- Prior experience or demonstrated enthusiasm for working on internal tools
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for the quality and timely delivery of work
- Demonstrated ability to take feedback well and actively incorporate it into work, showing a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve
- Ability to thrive both in self-directed work environments and in collaborative settings, contributing positively to team dynamics.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and React or NextJS
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.