Full Stack Software Engineer, Verifications
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Verifications team is in charge of building core system capabilities as a platform that product teams can leverage to provide world class customer experience through an automated approval process. Upstart has one of the lowest fraud rates in the industry and is currently able to instantly approve over 85% of funded applications. This means that the majority of applicants can receive their funds in under 24 hours after they apply. Looking ahead, Verifications need to extend the success that it has had with its flagship Personal Loans product to other products that are in scaling mode.
As a Full Stack Software Engineer, you will be working with other Verifications engineers, Product Managers, Product Teams, and other stakeholders to continually enhance customer experience through automation and initiatives that reduce latency. You will be a key contributor to the Verifications front-end platform and onboarding new product teams to help them scale.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - As a digital first company, the majority of your work can be accomplished remotely. The majority of our employees can live and work anywhere in the U.S but are encouraged to to still spend high quality time in-person collaborating via regular on-sites. The in-person sessions’ cadence varies depending on the team and role; most teams meet once or twice per quarter for 2-4 consecutive days at a time.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Reduce latency of page load times to improve customer experience
- Scale the Lending Platform through building common UI components that can be easily used by multiple product teams
- Reduce lead time of manual approvals through revamping the approval tools and UI used by the Operations team
- Reduce lead time in detecting fraud through building tools for the Fraud Operations team
- 4+ years of experience developing full stack web applications professionally
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages
- Solid grasp of software development principles and best practices for creating scalable and maintainable systems
- Proven ability to effectively analyze and solve complex problems
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, React, NextJS or Vercel
- Prior experience or demonstrated enthusiasm for working on internal tools
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for the quality and timely delivery of work
- Ability to thrive both in self-directed work environments and in collaborative settings, contributing positively to team dynamics
- Demonstrated ability to take feedback well and actively incorporate it into work with a desire to continuously improve
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.