Associate Compliance Manager, Servicing
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Our Compliance team plays a critical role in mitigating risk and protecting Upstart’s growth and success, and as a Servicing Compliance Associate Manager at Upstart, you will have a tremendous impact on this critical team. Someone that is successful in this role will be a ‘Go Getter’ by partnering in change, re-defining policies and improving practices. You’ll develop relationships of trust within the organization so that your role is a value add for the business unit. Your relevant skills and expertise will be an integral part of the discussion when addressing ways to further enhance the Compliance Management Systems and programs at Upstart. If you have previous compliance management experience and share our passion for consumer protection this could be the role for you.
How you’l make an impact
- Coordinate with operations and product teams to design new controls and enhance existing controls,
- Assist compliance management and work with business stakeholders to craft compliance guidance, procedures and job aids that comply with regulations and implemented policies,
- Partner with operations teams to drive efficiency, identify opportunities to improve processes, and build remediation plans where appropriate to resolve issues.
- Review third party vendor engagements for compliance with policies and procedures,
- Develop and deliver role based training to servicing agents,
- Monitor servicing activities for regulatory risks, develop Compliance KRIs, and report potential risks to management,
- Support organizational change management and servicing mandates by acting as an advocate and subject matter expert for the compliance team on strategic initiatives.
- 5+ years compliance or regulatory experience in financial services with proven knowledge of consumer protection regulation including working knowledge of applicable laws including; FCRA, ECOA, FDCPA, TILA, EFTA, GLBA, SCRA, Bankruptcy, and related state laws
- Prior experience in operationalizing a loan servicing compliance program including monitoring and testing procedures and assisting with business needs
- Great communication, organization, project management, and interpersonal skills with demonstrated decision-making capability while dealing with competing interests
- Self-starter mentality with the ability to work well under pressure and a strong sense of personal accountability and ownership
- Strong commitment to ethics and exercises good judgment
- Adaptable and flexible to changing priorities and situations
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and take on new evolving responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus but not required
- CRCM, other Compliance Certifications, or JD a plus
Position location This role is available in the following locations: Remote
Time zone requirements The team operates on the East/West coast time zones.
Travel requirements As a digital first company, the majority of your work can be accomplished remotely. The majority of our employees can live and work anywhere in the U.S but are encouraged to to still spend high quality time in-person collaborating via regular onsites. The in-person sessions’ cadence varies depending on the team and role; most teams meet once or twice per quarter for 2-4 consecutive days at a time.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.