Principal Security Tooling Engineer
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart's security team has a mix of professionals with different areas of deep expertise - from Application Security, to Cloud Security, Incident Response, Detection Engineering, and more. The team is responsible for ensuring we have a good understanding of the security gaps in our environment, and works to mitigate unnecessary risk across the company.
As the Principal Security Tooling Engineer at Upstart, you will help build innovative and creative solutions to improve security at Upstart. You'll be focused on security tooling, automating detection & response. You'll improve our security posture by building in-house tools, building automations in the SOAR platform, and working with the organization to find and build innovative fixes to reduce unnecessary risk across the company.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 5 days per Quarter at the San Mateo CA or Columbus OH office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Develop in-house security applications to solve problems & minimize toil
- Develop automated detection & responses to automatically address security risks occurring in the company
- Perform incident response, investigating potential security issues to determine what occurred and what needs to happen to fix it. If it happens twice, automate it!
- Develop custom scanners to ensure security requirements are being met
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 7+ years combined Software Engineering and Security Engineering experience
- Web application development skills with a modern language and framework
- 3+ years of experience building & maintaining custom in-house web applications for a security team
- 5+ years of experience on a security team, or directly supporting a security team
- Ability to identify and articulate risk from technical implementations involving network and application design
- Cloud development and security experience
- Experience investigating security issues
- Experience mentoring Engineers
- Preferred qualifications:
- Hacker & investigative mindset
- Incident Response & Management experience
- AWS development and security experience
- Experience with observability systems (SumoLogic, Datadog) and adding observability to systems
- Security Control Testing and/or Penetration Testing experience
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.