Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Senior
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As the Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting Senior, you play a pivotal role in the design and preparation of the Company’s internal and external financial reporting. You assist in the developing and maintaining accounting policies, design and implementation of internal controls over financial reporting, and provide external audit support. You have experience working with a variety of areas of US GAAP and SEC reporting rules and are curious to learn more. You thrive in the fast-paced environment that values problem solving skills and technical expertise.
Location - this role is available in the following locations: San Mateo, CA.
Time Zone Requirements - this team operates on the West Coast time zone.
Commute/Travel Requirements - this team normally meets in person in the office once a week and works from home the rest of the time.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Assist in the preparation of SEC filings (i.e. 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, and other SEC filings) including the preparation of financial statements, footnote disclosures, relevant disclosure checklists, maintaining supporting schedules and documentation, and assisting with the review of XBRL tagging.
- Rollforward, format and maintain SEC filings within our cloud-based SEC reporting platform and prepare supporting schedules and documentation for SEC filings and own tie-outs.
- Perform industry benchmark studies, develop and prepare recommendations.
- Liaison with external auditors on annual audits, quarterly reviews, and special projects.
- Actively participate in the implementation of new accounting standards and SEC rules, monitor upcoming standards, assess their impact on Upstart’s financial statements, and document decisions and conclusions.
- Perform recurring technical accounting analysis and documentation thereof
- Prepare month and quarter-end close deliverables related to stock compensation, partnering with Accounting Operations and Tax Teams
- Assist with development and management of accounting policies.
- Assist in design, implementation, and testing of controls over financial reporting, including completion of risk assessment.
- Participate in various ad-hoc research, projects or initiatives.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 3+ years of relevant experience including SEC reporting, technical accounting, public accounting and industry experience in public companies
- Strong understanding of financial statements, US GAAP, and SEC regulations
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communicator with superb written and oral communication skills, and ability to partner with cross-functional teams.
- Detailed oriented while being able to consider the big picture.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Accounting or related field
- Preferred qualifications:
- CPA or equivalent experience
- Experience with systems such as Workiva, Netsuite, and Intelligize
- Strong continuous improvement mindset
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.