Senior Product Designer, Auto Retail
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Auto Retail team is building the future for car buying. We’re a fun-loving, hard working group of trail blazers who believe anything is possible with the right team. Offering a fully end-to-end digital retailing platform, including our leading AI lending technology, we are now better positioned than ever to deliver our mission of creating the world’s best car buying experience with cutting-edge auto-retail software, while enabling effortless credit based on true risk.
More than $1 trillion of cars are sold each year in the U.S., yet it consistently ranks as one of the worst consumer experiences in America. This is the perfect chance to get in early, help fix that, and make a big impact in one of the world’s largest industries. If that sounds exciting to you, we’d love to chat!
As a Senior Product Designer on the Auto Retail team, you will help define the end-to-end product experience for our product suite, with involvement in Online, In-store, and Dealership Tools solutions. Upstart Auto Retail's goal is to build the best vehicle buying and financing offering for consumers, focusing on speed, convenience, and ease of use with an exceptional user experience on mobile, tablet, and desktop devices.
Our product design mission is to provide value to shoppers and our dealer customers through effortless experiences that save time and money, empower good decision making, reduce stress, and inspire trust through transparency. We're looking for exceptional design thought leaders to join our team and help us deliver value to our customers in new and better ways.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, CA, Columbus, OH, and Austin, TX.
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days per Quarter at an Upstart office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Design user experiences that lead to user satisfaction and improved conversion rates
- Leverage user research to drive business decisions and define new features
- Explore complex, ambiguous problem spaces in the auto industry and collaborate with internal and external teams to wrap your head around customer and business problems
- Push creative boundaries while simultaneously contributing to our design system
- Build and ship a product that is unmatched in usability and function
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 5+ years experience designing and launching high quality digital products
- Strong portfolio showcasing User Centered Design Process and UX skills
- Skilled with Figma and similar design tools
- Clear communicator and collaborator who is comfortable giving and taking design feedback, presenting to stakeholders and driving consensus around a common goal
- Preferred qualifications:
- Can successfully run user research studies and translate the learnings into business and / or design decisions
- Capable of diligently navigating the dynamic relationship between user needs and business requirements
- Experience working with engineers in the Agile software development framework
- Ability to run Discovery & Framing type processes for ambiguous features or products
- Skilled at solving design challenges in complex domains like Finance, Healthcare, Education or B2B
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in design-related or engineering-related field
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.