Principal Product Manager, Mobile
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart aims to displace high cost loans with a non-predatory, fair-priced alternative that meet the needs of high-risk customers with urgent financial difficulties. This group of customers has been under-served by traditional financial institutions and we are building products to help them. The web-based loan product has gotten substantial early traction; now we plan to add a more high-engagement, mobile-focused product to our suite of solutions for this audience.
As the Principal Product Manager, Mobile at Upstart, you will build, launch, and scale our first mobile app, focusing on creating more financial stability and awareness for our most vulnerable customers. As the founding mobile PM, you’ll enjoy significant autonomy in taking a concept and turning it into reality through user research, prototyping, and building. You will work closely with engineering and design to quickly launch a first iteration and iterate to achieve target metrics. Your work will set the foundation and product direction of Upstart’s mobile strategy for years to come.
- Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, CA, and Columbus, OH.
- Time Zone Requirements - This team operates in all US time zones.
- Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days per quarter at our San Mateo or Columbus office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Write detailed requirements; manage agile processes and stakeholders to drive consensus for our MVP mobile app launch
- Conduct user research to own post-launch roadmap and vision. Make smart trade-offs, maximizing ROI, taking risks, and experimenting when necessary.
- Passionately advocate for a customer experience that leads to extreme customer loyalty
- Collaborate with machine learning and marketing to balance unit economics with long-term customer value
- Demonstrate and encourage best practices in product management by influencing other PMs throughout the company.
What we are looking for:
- 5-10 years of consumer product management experience; at least 3 years in mobile
- Demonstrated success in finding product-market fit for an early stage b2c mobile app
- Passion and aptitude for credit and personal finance economic concepts
- A range of product management experience, including 2+ years each at an early startup as well as a mature public company
- Demonstrated success in scaling a mobile app from launch to xx,000 DAUs
- Experience with a product that relies on machine-learning
- Experience building online finance products, and/or knowledge of the consumer finance market
- Demonstrated commitment to mission-oriented outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to galvanize others to achieve outsized outcomes (school, hobbies, work, etc.)
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.