Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning Platform
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As an ML Platform engineer on the Inference team, you’ll be responsible for building a MLOps platform for model deployment, integration with our decisioning system, and monitoring, in addition to supporting fast-paced online experiments by our research scientists. Machine Learning is critical to Upstart’s core business, and our greatest competitive advantage lies in the fact that we’re able to innovate on our AI engine quickly.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus. Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates across all U.S. time zones
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3-5 days per Quarter at one of our office locations. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Build, maintain, and monitor high-quality software applications that enable machine learning models to be applied to the ever-evolving needs of the business
- Develop the scaffolding that allows research scientists to integrate models into production services and expose APIs to allow other software services to leverage them
- Enable rapid experimentation and feedback loops in our model serving code so that we can continuously improve our models
- Work with data engineers, devops engineers, and research scientists to ensure that model training and deployment is a repeatable process that relies heavily on robots (not humans)
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience building and maintaining backend software services and APIs
- Experience with some or many of the following: Python (flask / fastAPI), Kotlin (or another JVM language), interactive notebooks (Jupyter / Sagemaker), Apache Spark, gRPC, Apache Kafka, and AWS
- Good understanding of software development principles and best practices for creating scalable and maintainable systems
- Preferred qualifications:
- Familiarity with containers (Docker, etc.), continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD), and kubernetes
- Excellent quantitative reasoning skills with interest in working at the intersection of engineering and machine learning
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for the quality and timely delivery of work.
- Proven ability to effectively analyze and solve complex problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with stakeholders, peers, product owners
- Ability to thrive both in self-directed work environments and in collaborative settings, contributing positively to team dynamics
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.