Manager, Machine Learning
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Machine Learning team has a direct impact on our company's success. The team consists of research scientists, data scientists, and machine learning engineers who build and enable our core production models. The fundamental goal of the Machine Learning team is to explore new models and new data sets that can improve the accuracy of our models. With this goal comes near-limitless challenges to tackle, and that is one of the reasons why Upstart is such a unique opportunity.
The macro, metrics, and monitoring team, a part of Upstart machine learning’s personal loan underwriting team, is focused on monitoring and improving the performance of our underwriting models, particularly with respect to portfolio- and macro-level, rather than loan-level, performance. The team researches improvements to underwriting, including time-series portfolio-level predictions, adjustments to machine learning underwriting models to improve. The team also builds portfolio management models, researchers model performance metrics, and builds dashboards and reports on underwriting model performance.
As a Manager of Machine Learning, you will lead the macro, metrics, and monitoring team, managing data scientists and research scientists. We are also open to hiring an analytics-focused manager for the data scientists on the team. The manager will be directly responsible for ensuring Upstart’s personal loan underwriting models are originating loans that will achieve our lending partner’s target rates of return.
Position location: This position is available in the following locations: San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; Austin, TX; or Remote USA
Time zone requirements: The team operates on the East/West coast time zones.
Travel requirements: This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur 3-5 days per Quarter at the San Mateo or Columbus offices. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Lead small team of data scientist in building next-generation ML model monitoring framework
- Apply knowledge of ML models to model risk monitoring to evaluate the impact of our models on our business and customers
- Building dashboards to identify and remediate anomalies of model behavior in production
- Improving and implementing automated model monitoring capabilities
- Building automated model reporting and drift detection capabilities
- Designing metrics and reports
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in machine learning, risk monitoring, and artificial intelligence, and incorporate new techniques and best practices into our model monitoring processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in quantitative area of study
- 1+ years as a data science or machine learning people manager or tech lead
- Understanding of machine learning models and statistical methods
- Coding proficiency, preferably in Python
- Excellent quantitative critical thinking skills
- Advanced degree in quantitative area of study such as statistics, operations research, finance, mathematics, or related field
- Prior experience with dashboarding and ETLs is a plus
- Consumer lending knowledge and/or experience within an ML-centric technology company is a plus
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
Something looks off?