Principal Site Reliability Engineer
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As a Principal Site Reliability Engineer, you will own the reliability and resiliency of Upstart’s production systems. You will lead the way in building tooling and automation to monitor the health of our infrastructure and create a fast, reliable, and productive environment for other engineers and a world-class experience for our customers. You’ll have wide latitude in technology options and define our strategy for technology operations risk mitigation, which includes disaster planning and on-call procedures. To drive all of these initiatives you will be expected to use a data-driven approach and provide reports to the business to improve visibility into the system and customer experience.
Beyond these responsibilities, as a Principle Site Reliability Engineer, you will help drive the vision of the SRE Team. You will influence our strategy and upskill others in the org to make SRE at Upstart as effective as possible. SRE at Upstart is ever-changing, and you will be a primary contributor in shaping our future path.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on all U.S. time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Month/Quarter at the Upstart office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Shape SRE principles at Upstart and reinforce Devops practices throughout the company.
- Uphold a culture of ownership and responsibility around service reliability.
- Develop standards for monitoring microservices in a fast paced environment.
- Improve incident response practices, both with SRE and throughout the company.
- Automate away all toil that can be found.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- Track record as a thought leader of SRE.
- Experience with logging and monitoring frameworks.
- Ability to work with multiple teams
- Experience mentoring others.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience responding to incidents and bringing them to resolution.
- Experience breaking a monolith architecture into microservices.
- Programming experience in any major programming language. Ruby on Rails experience is a plus.
- System administration experience.
- Experience working in a cloud environment.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
Something looks off?