Distinguished Software Engineer, B2C Product Engineering
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
This role will be a technical leader in the B2C product engineering organization, which encompasses the engineering teams building our consumer lending products which includes personal lending, small dollar lending, auto lending, home lending, and growth engineering. The role will report to the Vice President, B2C product engineering.
As a Distinguished Engineer at Upstart, you will work across the B2C product engineering organization to establish the architectural vision, develop the roadmap for cross-cutting components and capabilities, and partner with product engineering teams to deliver Upstart credit products to end users.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on all U.S. time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per quarter at an Upstart office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Help define the product engineering org’s longer term technical roadmap ensuring alignment with business objectives
- Guide the architectural evolution of product engineering systems with an emphasis on systems shared across product engineering teams
- Uncover and drive alignment across complex technical requirements, designs, trade-offs, influencing product direction
- Proactively evaluate, prototype, and roll out new technologies/frameworks to help cultivate a culture of innovation
- Partner with product leaders to shape product direction and drive business impact across all consumer facing products
- Lead from the front, while mentoring and developing technical leaders
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 15+ years software engineering experience
- Strong technical and software engineering fundamentals including a demonstrated ability to build and own large-scale, highly available consumer products
- Ability to explain complex business and technical concepts to all audiences
- Experience leading large cross-team initiatives at companies that have gone through periods of rapid business or organizational growth
- Track record of successfully mentoring and developing technical leaders
- Preferred qualifications:
- Has defined and executed on longer term (multi-quarter +) technological visions or strategies for multi-team organizations
- Has driven initiatives of significant depth or breadth with demonstrated results in engineering process, technology platforms, or overall productivity of others
- Ability to identify gaps in organizational knowledge, tools, and practices and produce and execute on plans to address those gaps
- Ability to influence and lead without direct authority
- Strong product and analytical mindset that allows you to think in terms of ROI, risk, and trade offs
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
Something looks off?