Analytics Engineering Manager
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As the Analytics Engineering Manager at Upstart, you will manage the team that designs and develops well documented data models for analytical stakeholders to empower them to retrieve meaningful insights. Our analytics engineering team is centralized within the company and partners closely with data engineering, data platform, software engineering and cross functional analytics squads to stitch together datasets to create data models that are ready for analysis.
In addition to architecting data models, we enable analysts to think like software engineers by defining, documenting and ensuring adoption of best practices when making contributions to the analytical code-base.
If you are passionate about leading the team in understanding our organizational infrastructure and working with teams to translate our business needs into solutions in the form of analytical datasets, and supporting analytics teams keep reading!
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions, these occur 3 days per quarter. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Support, mentor and upskill a small team of Analytics Engineers
- Communicate effectively with business and analytical stakeholders to translate business requirements from documents to clean code, tests, data warehouse design and performant dashboards
- Manage the creation, maintenance and enablement of an analytical enterprise warehouse containing datasets that answer important questions for business stakeholders
- Contribute to and manage the analytics code base, ensuring that software engineering best practices are followed (example: version control, testing, CI)
- Collaborate with data engineering and data platform teams to lead the team through creation of analytical pipelines and datasets
- Meet consumers of data where they are by wearing an educator’s hat and training them on how to use BI tool and dashboards
- Work as a close strategic partner to analytics squads to participate in decision making on the analytics road map for Upstart
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 2+ years of people management / team lead experience
- 6+ years of experience as a Data Engineer / Analytics Engineer / BI Engineer
- Expertise in SQL, Python and ETL optimization techniques
- Strong understanding of OSX command line and version control software (git)
- Intimate familiarity with business intelligence visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly when explaining technical or complex matters to less technical co-workers
- MS or BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Bioinformatics or a related field OR equivalent practical experience in Data Engineering/Science/Analytics
- Preferred qualifications:
- Expertise building Looker data models (LookML), working with analytics engineering frameworks like dbt and orchestration tools like Airflow, schema design, and dimensional data modeling
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud
- A thorough understanding of data lake/warehouse architectures (BigQuery, Databricks, Redshift)
- A solid framework for prioritizing goals based on the larger picture, while being comfortable getting into the details and/or pushing back as needed
- Experience managing near-real time business metrics and analytical pipelines
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
Something looks off?