Software Engineer II, Application Platform
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The Application team is core to Upstart’s business. The application Platform team aims to build a world-class platform that solves generic lending concerns of the funding form submission, allowing our Product teams to build and scale product features faster and more efficiently.
As a Software Engineer on this team, you will be working across our entire technical stack, building platform capabilities that will be available to all of our products. Your work will enable Upstart to innovate faster and accelerate the launch of new products in the near future.
[Position location] This role is available in the following locations: Remote, Austin, Columbus
[Time zone requirements] This team operates across all US time zones.
[Travel requirements] This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Quarter. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Help build our platform to accelerate product development by providing out-of-the-box solutions to generic lending concerns of the loan application process.
- Build backend APIs & event driven systems, and augment platform capabilities to unlock business critical features
- Work cross-functionally with other Leads and Product teams across Upstart.
- Own your work end-to-end, including design (architecture), implementation, testing and operationalization
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 3+ years of experience with an object-oriented programming languages like Ruby or Kotlin
- 3+ years of experience working on backend systems and shipping features without major bugs
- BS/BA degree in a technical field such as Computer Science, or equivalent years of professional experience
- Preferred qualifications:
- Masters degree in Computer Science or similar
- Experience building GRPC APIs and versioning them
- Experience with React Native or similar cross-platform frameworks
- Experience with React web or similar frameworks
- Strong understanding of database design and distributed systems at scale
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
Something looks off?