Merchant Underwriter, Home Improvement
Upgrade is a fintech company that provides affordable and responsible credit, mobile banking, and payment products to everyday consumers. We were the fastest growing company in the Americas last year according to the Financial Times and Upgrade Card was the fastest growing credit card in America. We have delivered over $21 billion in affordable and responsible credit over the last 5 years. The company is backed by some of the most prominent technology investors and was recently valued at $6.3B.
We have built an energizing, collaborative and inclusive culture where team members help each other, learn and innovate to move the company and its customers in the right direction, and own the outcome of their efforts.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, “Top Companies to work for in Arizona” and one of the "Best Engineering Department" awarded annually by Comparably. We've also received recognition for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 1500 talented and dedicated professionals. Come join us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
About the Role:
Our Home Improvement team is looking for a Merchant Underwriter. We are looking for detailed oriented individuals to assist our merchants with the Onboarding Application Process. Our Merchant Underwriters are responsible for the accurate review, processing and decisions of merchant applications.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a pipeline of Merchant Applications
- Utilize Experian, Lexisnexis, and other systems to verify merchant details
- Read and interpret business credit files
- Review business financial documents
- Perform background checks on business owners and their businesses
- Review current business practices and social media standings
- Verify business license status
- Perform review OFAC sanctions
- Call and email business owners to obtain documents
What We Look For:
- Small business underwriting experience
- Strong work ethic
- Detailed oriented
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Proven ability to remain positive during stressful situations
- Team player, proactive approach to helping other team members
- Proficient with Excel, Word, Outlook, and Tableau
- BA/BS or higher highly preferred
What We Offer You:
- Paid time off (PTO)
- 401K matching
- Comprehensive benefits package: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance & disability
- Wellness Incentive Program
- Office stocked with snacks and beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.