Senior Site Reliability Engineer
At Navan, “It’s all about the user. All of them.” We’re passionate about providing a seamless one-stop experience for business travelers, no matter how they travel, where they stay, or where they’re going.
We are constantly striving to make the most reliable and scalable systems possible to ensure that our services are available to our travelers when they need it most. With our exponential growth, we have many exciting challenges ahead and we’re looking for a passionate Site Reliability Engineer to join our team in Palo Alto, CA. As an SRE you will design and develop tooling, automation and infrastructure services that power the Navan services, used by thousands of travelers on a daily basis. You will work closely with development teams, release and productivity teams and security teams to identify customer needs and build innovative solutions to solve them.
You will work across a vast array of systems and technologies, aiming to build an autonomous, monitored, fault-tolerant infrastructure that is optimized for both simplicity and uptime. You will collaborate with the backend and frontend engineering teams to ensure that product solutions are scalable, efficient, and reliable. You will design infrastructure to support our massive growth and work with the team to maintain the highest level of service.
This position is based out of our new Palo Alto office.
What You'll Do:
Building a fast moving, high growth service. Navan is revolutionizing travel and expense services for the enterprise, and the product is evolving quickly. You are comfortable in a startup environment, enjoy seeing the product take shape, and have strong ownership of the success of your services.
Designing, implementing and operating cloud infrastructure. You’re a fit for us if you think in terms of infrastructure as code, deployment pipelines, and building the guardrails to make going fast also going safely.
Identifying reliability anti-patterns and solving them systemically. You dive deep into the data to evaluate the health of your systems, and you use it to improve visibility and reliability across the fleet of services.
Finding and automating the toil out of our processes. You’d prefer to automate it entirely, or build a tool to empower your users rather than be the gatekeeper to the tool.
What We’re Looking For:
- You have 5+ years of experience as an SRE (or Infrastructure Software Engineer, or DevOps Engineer)
- You have 3+ years of experience in working on a production, 24x7 product environment
- You are passionate about solving problems and learning new tools and technologies, and you how to say “I don't know”
- You have excellent communication skills working with stakeholders and domain experts across the company to design solutions to user problems
- You are looking to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- You operate with a strong sense of ownership demonstrated through shipping production-quality code and infrastructure equipped with testing, monitoring and documentation
We want you because you can teach new ways to solve problems and you have
- Hands-on experience with Java based applications and services including JVM profiling and performance tuning (python, Node.js and Go are a plus)
- Hands-on experience building and operating distributed systems in a public cloud environment (preferably AWS), using CI/CD to deploy, manage and operate production systems, focusing on tooling and automation using tools such as maven and Jenkins.
- Hands-on experience with microservice architecture and related reliability and resiliency patterns such as throttling, queueing, and retries
- Hands-on experience with writing Infrastructure as Code in Terraform or Cloudformation or similar tools
- A passion for automating away everything, using scripting languages such as python, bash, groovy (we prefer lazy engineers)
- Built, using, and automating monitoring systems such as NewRelic, Cloudwatch, Cloudtrail, Elastic Stack, and Grafana
- Hands-on experience database experience with RDS (mysql), couchbase and/or elasticsearch
The posted pay range represents the anticipated low and high end of the compensation for this position and is subject to change based on business need. To determine a successful candidate’s starting pay, we carefully consider a variety of factors, including primary work location, an evaluation of the candidate’s skills and experience, market demands, and internal parity.
For roles with on-target-earnings (OTE), the pay range includes both base salary and target incentive compensation. Target incentive compensation for some roles may include a ramping draw period. Compensation is higher for those who exceed targets. Candidates may receive more information from the recruiter.