Engineering Manager - Product (Remote)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering, Product
Raleigh, NC, USA
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
We started Super.com to help maximize lives–both the lives of our customers and the lives of our employees– so that everyone can experience all that life has to offer. For our employees, our promise is that Super.com is more than just a job; it’s an opportunity to unlock one’s potential, where learning is celebrated and impact is realized.
We are more than a fast-paced, high-growth tech company; we care about our people and take career progression seriously. This is your career and our aim is to supercharge it through the people, the work, and the programs that fuel who we are.
About this team
Super.com engineering has three full-stack development focus areas: travel, fintech, and a superapp that unifies travel and fintech along with several other savings and earnings use cases. Our dozens of microservices and event-driven architecture handle thousands of requests and events per second, ingest over 1TB of data per day and process over $1MM per day in sales, while maintaining a 99.9+% uptime. We have 80 engineers across our teams, and our biggest selling point is our focus on supporting our engineers’ career growth, whether that’s as a technical contributor or people leader.
About this role
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead one of our full-stack engineering teams. In this role you will directly oversee 3-5 full-time engineers, and the team has 1-2 engineering interns. You will predominantly work with React on the frontend, and a combination of Python and Node microservices on the backend. Other technologies you’ll work with include Gitlab, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Datadog, Amplitude, and Snowflake. You will work closely with a Product Manager, Product Designer, QA and work in an agile, fast-paced environment (that respects work/life balance). You will report into a Director of Engineering.
We’re looking for highly-motivated self-starters who share our excitement for growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be interested and able to implement and oversee a team of full-stack engineers (frontend, backend, databases) working with React, Python, and Node. In addition, the candidate is a strong communicator (both technical and non-technical topics), interested in continuous learning, and looking forward to working in a scaleup environment with an emphasis on delivering business value. The ideal candidate is interested in a 30:30:30:10 split between technical leadership : team management : people management : individual contributions. Finally, the ideal candidate is an empathetic people leader, is highly collaborative, is data-driven, is scrappy, and loves to ship impactful code with rapid iteration.
- Manage the technical and people leadership aspects of a full-stack team of 3-5 engineers (+2 eng interns). You will be accountable for the continued staffing of the team, including being a key contributor to hiring processes
- Propel the business and engineering org forward by leading high-impact projects end-to-end in an iterative, data-driven, scaleup environment
- Shape the technical roadmap for the team, contribute to product roadmap and OKR discussions, and drive the engineering agile processes for the team
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and growth, ensuring team members excel with oversight and mentorship, are working on projects at the intersection of interest, experience, and business impact, and have concrete opportunities for growth
- Drive high release quality and cadence by completing code reviews, ensuring end-to-end tests are written, and sustainable yet pragmatic development practices are followed
- Strategically contribute technically - write important design docs, tackle particularly intricate components / features or services, jumping in as an individual contributor when appropriate
- Contribute to cross-team technical meetings and discussions, and opportunities to improve engineering productivity and processes
- 4+ years software development experience, including 1+ years of either formal management or close mentoring of junior and intermediate software developers
- Coding: senior technical depth in at least one of Python or JS. Also, at least intermediate depth on frontend development using a modern frontend framework (ex. React/Vue/Angular)
- Strong knowledge of modern web technologies and system design & architecture
- Been a technical lead for shipping major features/projects, and worked with multiple codebases
- Been involved in hiring & interview processes
- Experience working with Product Managers and Designers, in an agile setting
Nice to have
- Working experience across a breadth of our infrastructure, languages and stacks (React, Python, Node, Gitlab, AWS, Docker, Postgres, Redis, Datadog, Amplitude, and Snowflake)
- Formal engineering management experience
- SQL / analytics know-how, and experience with devops concepts
- Experience in a startup/scaleup environment
- Worked closely with business stakeholders, and experience spearheading agile processes
We've got you covered!
- Competitive salary packages, equity options, great benefits from day one, wellness budgets, as well as personal and team-level development budgets
- We are remote first – you have the flexibility to work from around the world and the hours that make sense for you– so that you can do your best work while living life on your own terms
- Other perks include: unlimited PTO, recharge days, travel discounts on SuperTravel, Weekly UberEats credit, annual company offsite
- We welcome new family additions with generous parental leave and a flexible return-to-work plan
- This is just scratching the surface– see our careers site for a more detailed overview of our perks & benefits
We Believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If needed, please notify our Talent Acquisition Partner.