Backend Engineer IV
Millions in the U.S. continue to be underserved or ignored by traditional financial institutions. At Stash, an investing app for more than 2 million active subscribers, we are addressing that reality by giving everyday Americans the confidence to take charge of their money and financial future. Our plans—starting at just $3 a month—provide easy and affordable access to a suite of products including investing, banking, education, and advice. Stashers are 18% more financially literate than the average American, and customers rely on Stash’s unique tools, guardrails, and content to learn about money and build wealth for the long-term.
In 2022, we made tremendous steps forward in the Stash customer experience, through the launches of Stash Core, a new banking account experience featuring access to an upgraded Stock-Back® Debit Mastercard®, enhanced customer support, and refreshed benefits, including increased rewards; and expanded access to cryptocurrency through a separate crypto account offering.
Our Talented Team
We are proud to attract phenomenal individuals who share our commitment to unlocking financial opportunity for a new generation of investors. Their unique perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences have helped create a thriving and inclusive culture based on the notion of “Prioritizing People,” a Stash core value.
Let’s solve complex problems and tackle wealth inequality.
Our Backend Platform team is looking for a Software Engineer with a passion for building reliable, scalable, and performant software to support the Stash mission. The team’s goal is to make the developer experience at Stash as simple as possible while providing a reliable and scalable backend system. As part of the Backend Platform team, you’ll deliver tools and services that are used by every team at Stash.
What You'll Do
- Architect, design, and implement robust backend services, that support the Stash experience
- Demonstrate capacity to break down complex technical concepts and system architectures and being able to propose solutions through iterations
- Partner with other teams on improving the developer experience
- Own the end to end delivery of software components from inception to production
- Work in a collaborative agile team to deliver working software incrementally
- Instrument, test, profile, and code review software
- Continuously deploy what you build to our cloud-based infrastructure
What We're Looking For
- A detail-oriented engineer with a track record of turning ideas into reliable code that others find easy to understand and modify
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers and to raise identified risks in a timely manner
- Experience building scalable and maintainable services
- Creative problem solver with a passion for testing, debugging, and overall code quality
- Data-driven decision maker, willing to take risks, fail fast, and iterate quickly
- Familiarity with or interest in Scala, Kotlin, Java, Ruby or Go
- Experience with Postgres, Kafka, Terraform, Kubernetes, AWS
- Experience building distributed applications at scale
- Familiarity with or interest in other areas of our stack including TypeScript, React, Node.js, Ruby, Rails, Scala, Kotlin, Go, Postgres, Kafka, Terraform, Kubernetes, AWS
- Experience building tools and applications that enhance developer experience and support platform wide initiatives
At Stash it is our mission to help everyday Americans invest and build wealth. That includes people of all races, genders, and abilities, so it is important to us to acknowledge and address the issues of inequality in financial services head on.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products. Our success is directly related to our employees and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.
Helping You Invest in Yourself
- Comprehensive total rewards package, comprising compensation (base salary, equity, and depending on level, an annual bonus) and health care benefits
- Complimentary subscription to Stash+ account
- Remote-first work policy – Live and work where you feel the most productive, whether that is in your home, in an office (including our NYC and London offices), or a combination of both. Anywhere in the US or UK.
- Equity & Stash Accounts [Invest, Retire, Custodial, Bank]
- Flexible PTO
- Annual education reimbursement benefit Learning & Development Fund
- Work from home equipment stipends
- Paid Parental Leave ([offerings for birth giving and non-birth giving parents) Primary & Secondary]
- Enhanced wellness benefits through Gympass, Headspace, Ginger, and Maven Health
- Stash Gives donation and volunteerism program through Millie, with an annual company match
External Recognition for Stash
- Comparably's Best Company Awards: Best Places to Work, Best Company Outlook, and Best Engineering Team for Diversity, Women, Culture, and more! (2023)
- Fintech Breakthrough Award: Best Personal Finance App (2023)
- BuiltIn’s Best Places to Work (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019, 2020, 2021)
- Best Digital Bank, Finovate Awards (2020)
- Tearsheet Challenge Awards, Best Banking Card Product - Stock-Back® Card, 2020
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019 & 2020)
**No recruiters, please**
Something looks off?