Business Control Testing Manager
Who we are:
Shape a brighter financial future with us.
Together with our members, we’re changing the way people think about and interact with personal finance.
We’re a next-generation fintech company using innovative, mobile-first technology to help our millions of members reach their goals. The industry is going through an unprecedented transformation, and we’re at the forefront. We’re proud to come to work every day knowing that what we do has a direct impact on people’s lives, with our core values guiding us every step of the way. Join us to invest in yourself, your career, and the financial world.
The First Line of Defense ( 1LOD) Business Control Testing (BCT) team is responsible for executing control testing activities to evaluate the effectiveness of SoFi’s Internal Controls.
The BCT Manager will ensure the team is consistently executing test procedures to assess the design and operating effectiveness of controls for in-scope Risk Control Self Assessments (RCSA) processes. The Testing Manager will maintain all 1LOD control testing documentation and ensure standards are consistently followed, including testing timelines. They will also help establish or update control inventories, control descriptions, workflows/ processes, etc. to support and drive consistent control testing. Additionally, this role will contribute to the creation of action plans to address control testing gaps and analyze process deficiencies that could lead to process improvement initiatives.
What you’ll do:
- Management of the execution of controls testing across multiple businesses, products, and enterprise functions across SoFi Technologies.
- Partner with business and technology leaders, control owners, and business control leads to execute design effectiveness (DE) and operating effectiveness (OE) control testing. This includes participating in walkthrough meetings, reviewing documentation and assessing the adequacy, and leading final disposition meetings.
- Review and update all 1LOD control testing documentation to include procedures, templates, tools, and training to ensure a common set of control testing documentation.
- Partner with the Head of Business Control Testing to build an end-to-end testing and reporting program.
- Drive accountability with control owners to ensure timely test completion.
- Partner with peers in compliance, SOX, 2LOD, and internal audit to ensure we are continuously improving.
- Partner and collaborate across business units to facilitate, tackle, and report on new or amended controls arising from RCSA.
- Partner to launch the Governance Risk and Control (GRC) tool to support control testing for the 1LOD.
- Develop key success measures/metrics and reporting to support control test execution.
- Own cross-functional initiatives that enhance the overall 1LOD Risk and Controls Business organization.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of the 1LOD control testing program.
What you’ll need:
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience in risk management in financial services and/or banking operating environments; specifically managing and executing first-line controls testing.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in controls testing, internal audit, quality control roles, or other complimentary capacities within the financial services industry.
- Demonstrated 3+ years of managing and coaching a high-performing team.
- Working knowledge of SoFi’s products and services.
- Subject matter expertise in operational risk and controls testing; working knowledge of relevant industry regulations and standard industry processes.
- Knowledge of process development (e.g., process taxonomy, process mapping, etc.)
- Scope of experience should include risk identification, mitigation, and control assessments as well as writing test scripts and documenting results.
- Strong ability to create a culture of ownership, accountability, collaboration, and ability to influence at different levels.
- Demonstrated initiative to identify problems that need to be addressed and prioritized.
- Partnership mindset to ensure we have positive and productive working relationships with auditors and examiners.
- Results-oriented, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to balance multiple critical priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to build a process from the ground up and drive engagement from business partners.
- Experience with risk data, reporting, and analysis; including systems.
- Experience in highly-matrixed, fast-paced environments.
- Working with external consultants to ensure we meet testing deadlines.
- Assists with ad-hoc requests and special projects.
- A Bachelor's Degree or 8 years of relevant experience in lieu of a degree