Senior Staff Data Scientist, Loss Forecasting
Who we are:
Shape a brighter financial future with us.
Together with our members, we’re changing the way people think about and interact with personal finance.
We’re a next-generation fintech company using innovative, mobile-first technology to help our millions of members reach their goals. The industry is going through an unprecedented transformation, and we’re at the forefront. We’re proud to come to work every day knowing that what we do has a direct impact on people’s lives, with our core values guiding us every step of the way. Join us to invest in yourself, your career, and the financial world.
SoFi’s Credit team manages credit risk activities for our lending products (Student Loan Refinance, Private Student Loan, Personal Loan, Credit Card, and Mortgage) - including credit strategies for new account origination and portfolio management, collections/recovery strategies and operations, and risk and operational data science and analytics. The team designs data-driven strategies to ensure the growth in lending is consistent with the company’s risk appetite and helps create the products and experiences that put our members’ interests first.
What you’ll do:
- Develop loss forecasting models and/ or projections for SoFi’s lending products, including Personal Loan, Student Loan Refinance, Private Student Loan, and Credit Card.
- Develop stress testing models using macro-economic data to provide insights to the business and enable the company to proactively plan for economic downturns.
- Improve forecasting accuracy and productivity. Ensure good documentation and controls on the forecasting methodologies and procedures.
- Measure and monitor asset concentration, and continue to optimize the framework to manage concentration risks.
- Establish great partnerships with teammates and business partners such as Business Units, Finance, and Capital Markets. Maintain continuous communications with business partners and align results and expectations.
- Draw strategic insights from data using statistical analysis tools to inform decisions and support SoFi’s overarching strategic goals relative to loss prevention and profit optimization. Bring new ways of thinking, data sources, technologies, and capabilities to SoFi.
- Be inspired by dynamic leaders and our rapidly growing business. We are recruiting the best, brightest, and passionately quantitative team members.
What you’ll need:
- 7+ years of related experience
- Proven advanced analytical and technical skills in conducting sophisticated data analysis and building loss forecasting models and projections
- Business acumen and work experience in the consumer lending business (loans or credit cards)
- Strong skills in SQL and Python
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and communicate analysis to business partners and senior management
- High motivation to drive results, eager to learn, and able to work collaboratively in a fluid environment
- Preferred: 5+ years of work experience in loss forecasting
- Preferred: Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) with a quantitative major such as Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, or Computer Science
- Preferred: Experience in Asset Concentration or Stress Testing