Sr. Full Stack Software Engineer, Nextjs
SmartAsset is a US based, online destination for consumer-focused financial information and advice that powers SmartAdvisor, a national marketplace connecting consumers to financial advisors. Reaching approximately 75 million people each month (as of Sept. 2021) through its educational content and personalized calculators and tools, SmartAsset's mission is to help people make smart financial decisions. Ranked on the Inc. 5000 and Deloitte Technology Fast 500™ lists of fastest growing companies in 2021, SmartAsset closed a $110 million Series D round, valuing the company at over $1 billion. SmartAsset was also named to Y Combinator's list of Top 100 Companies of all time and Forbes' list of America's Best Startup Employers in 2020.
About the Team
Within the Software Engineering group, the team you will work with builds and maintains the consumer-facing Web products. The two main websites smartasset.com and smartadvisormatch.com together are visited by over 100 million users per year.
We are actively reengineering the tech stack that generates these two sites and are using the latest in frontend and back-end technologies. Currently our stack includes Next.js, React, Node.js, React Hooks, XState, GraphQL, webpack, and SASS. Our systems are planned and conceptualized using domain driven design (DDD) approaches and built using event driven architectures. Our applications and services are fully hosted by AWS, leveraging services like the CloudFront CDN platform to take the systems to the extreme edge of scalability and reliability. We deliver these solutions using agile and CI/CD techniques in 2-week sprints following a Scrum-based SDLC methodology.
Diversity and maintaining the group's well-nurtured collaborative and creative culture is critically important to us, as is our close partnership with our Product & UI/UX peers and Marketing & Business Development stakeholders. We are seeking a coding enthusiast with experience and talent in Next.js to join our us within the thriving and rapidly growing finance services company of SmartAsset.
About the Job:
In this role, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and implementing high-quality web applications using the latest Next.js, React, and Typescript technologies. You will collaborate with other developers, designers, and other stakeholders to create innovative, user-friendly, and high-performance web solutions that meet our specific business needs and end-user requirements.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams, including designers, other developers, and product managers, to gather and refine requirements, ensuring alignment with overall business goals and client needs.
- Writing clean, maintainable, and well-structured code, adhering to best practices and industry standards for Next.js development.
- Optimizing web applications for maximum performance, compatibility, and responsiveness across various platforms and devices.
- Performing thorough testing and debugging of Next.js applications to ensure optimal functionality, reliability, and security.
- Developing and maintaining technical documentation, including design documents, user guides, and API specifications, to effectively communicate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Staying up to date with the latest advancements in Next.js, React, and frontend web development technologies, and identifying opportunities to enhance existing applications or create new ones.
- Providing technical mentorship and guidance to junior and peer team members.
Skills/Experience You Have:
- A minimum of 5 years of professional frontend development experience in a team environment.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in Java.
- Proven experience developing web applications using Node.js, Next.js and React with a strong understanding of their features and best practices.
- Experience with modern frameworks, libraries, and patterns that build upon CSS, such as SCSS or LESS.
- Familiarity with testing frameworks and libraries, such as Jest, React Testing Library, or Enzyme.
- Comfort with installing plugins and making minor changes to WordPress code using PHP.
- Experience integrating content from RESTful APIs and GraphQL queries.
- Familiarity with state management libraries and caching techniques using React Hooks, Redux, or XState.
- You have strong knowledge of web development best practices, including responsive design, cross-browser compatibility, and performance optimization.
- Knowledge of agile software development methodologies, such as Scrum or Kanban is required.
- Familiarity with version control systems, such as Git, SVN, or Mercurial.
- Experience with build tools and bundlers, such as Webpack, NPM, pip, or composer.
- You have excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to think critically and creatively to develop innovative web solutions.
- You are passionate about maintaining code to common Web standards and functionality to required accessibility standards.
- You enthusiastically contribute to improving our standards, processes, and team.
- You possess a proactive mindset, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.