Senior Engineering Manager
Posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
Company Overview:Sitetracker provides leading solutions for the management and optimization of critical infrastructure projects. Our cutting-edge platform empowers organizations to efficiently develop, construct, and operate projects in the telecom, energy, and other emerging industries. We are seeking a technically strong and collaborative Senior Engineering Manager to lead our scrum teams focused on advancing our Operations and Maintenance product offering. This role will be based in the United States.
Position Overview:The Senior Engineering Manager will play a critical role in driving the advancement of our O&M offerings by accelerating our market expansion in collaboration with our O&M PM’s and Director of Design. You will foster a culture of innovation and quality while meeting program increment commitments. The ideal candidate has managed teams building B2B software products on web and mobile platforms. They possess strong technical expertise and even stronger communication and leadership skills.
1. Team Leadership & Development:
- Mentoring: Provide individualized guidance and support to team members, fostering their personal and professional growth.
- Empowerment: Delegate authority and responsibility, empowering team members to take ownership of tasks and projects.
- Training: Identify and facilitate training opportunities to upskill team members and keep them updated with industry trends.
- Collaboration: Promote open communication and collaboration within the team and with other departments.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Foster an inclusive environment that values diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
2. Technical Guidance and Expertise
- Best Practices: Ensure the team adheres to industry best practices and standards in all projects.
- Problem Solving: Assist team members in tackling complex technical challenges and roadblocks.
- Innovation: Stay updated with the latest technological trends and encourage the adoption of new solutions that can benefit the company.
- Quality Assurance: Oversee the quality of technical deliverables, ensuring they meet or exceed expectations.
- Technical Documentation: Ensure comprehensive and updated documentation for all technical processes and solutions.
3. Strategic Planning
- Goal Setting: Collaborate with senior leadership to set short-term and long-term engineering goals.
- Stakeholder Alignment: Ensure that engineering goals and priorities align with the expectations of other departments and stakeholders.
- Risk Management: Identify potential risks and develop strategies to mitigate them.
4. Performance Management
- Performance Reviews: Conduct regular evaluations of team members, providing constructive feedback on their achievements and areas for improvement.
- Goal Tracking: Monitor individual and team progress towards set objectives, ensuring accountability.
- Recognition: Celebrate and acknowledge outstanding performances and milestones achieved by team members.
- Feedback Mechanisms: Implement systems for team members to provide feedback on processes, projects, and leadership.
- Skill Assessment: Regularly assess the skill sets of the team to identify areas of strength and areas needing enhancement.
- Team Dynamics: Monitor and manage team dynamics to ensure positive collaboration and efficient teamwork.
5. Continuous Improvement
- Process Evaluation: Regularly review and assess engineering workflows to identify inefficiencies.
- Monitoring: Track the impact of implemented improvements, making further refinements as necessary.
- Benchmarking: Compare internal processes and performance against industry benchmarks to identify areas for improvement.
Within 90 Days, You Will:
- Become Sitetracker Certified
- Learn the overall Sitetracker product with a keen understanding of the O&M architecture and codebase
- Get acquainted with all of the tools and processes involved within the SDLC
- Establish reporting relationships and one-on-ones with the 12+ Engineering and QA team members under your management
- Review current program increment commitments and progress and take part in the discovery and planning of the following program increment’s scope
- Establish rapport with key stakeholders across teams including but not limited to Product Design, Education, and Support
- Participate in engineering department leadership meetings, metascrums, and scrum team rituals for teams under management
- Hired 1 or 2 individual contributors to join your team
Within 180 Days, You Will:
- Set OKRs for the teams under your management
- Have been part of the delivery of several key innovations involved in O&M
- Hired several individual contributors to join your team
- Perform a general heuristic analysis of Sitetracker web and mobile codebase with identified areas for improvement / technical debt identified
- Provide key technical strategic direction for growth of the O&M product
- Have KPIs established for overall team execution and quality measurement
- Have a development plan in place for all ICs with 100% adherence
Within 365 Days, You Will:
- Realize the growth of the O&M product through customer renewals, add-ons, and new logo growth
- Reduced the bug backlog of components under O&M ownership
- Have several technical debt items prioritized and delivered
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field (Advanced degree preferred).
- Extensive experience in software architecture, engineering, and prior management experience
- Strong business acumen and ability to translate technical concepts into simple terms to communicate cross-functionally or to customers
- Managed 7+ Software Engineers across 2 or more scrum teams
- Worked as part of a product company delivering a software product
Join Sitetracker:If you are a forward-thinking technology leader with a passion for innovation, a strategic mindset, and a proven ability to drive innovation initiatives and go-to-market strategies, we invite you to join our dynamic team at Sitetracker. Together, we will shape the future of infrastructure project management and revolutionize the industries we serve.
Sitetracker was founded ten years ago with the singular focus of solving a problem that was first recognized within the telecommunications industry; how to effectively manage the volume, variety, and velocity of critical infrastructure projects needed to meet the demand of expanding wireless and cellular service. That problem has become even more pronounced due to the eventual explosion of 5G. Being able to effectively deploy infrastructure is going to be the differentiator between leading telecommunication providers.
However, over the years, we realized that this challenge isn’t localized to telecommunications – it’s pervasive nearly everywhere and has reached an inflection point. Utilities (such as gas and electric services), smart cities, and alternative energy all face similar challenges. Sitetracker is the only full-lifecycle project management platform suited to support these companies and address these challenges.
We are exceptionally proud of the company we’ve built (we were recently recognized as the #2 place to work in San Francisco, as well as one of the top places to work in the entire United States). Our people are extraordinary and we’re continuing to invest in our people-first culture.