Senior Backend Software Engineer
Self Financial is a venture-backed, high-growth FinTech company with a mission to increase economic inclusion and financial resilience by empowering people to build credit and build savings.
We're looking for people who share our passion and are driven to tackle challenges, find solutions and make the financial space better for the communities we serve.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by providing people accessible tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can benefit from them the most, particularly the 100 million+ Americans who have no or low credit.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To that end, we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on our Platform Engineering Teams you will be working at the very core of how we build and enhance our credit-building products and services. A majority of your time will be spent on writing clean and effective code which you will manage from inception through deployment. You will collaborate directly with lead engineers, architecture, and product managers and work alongside our amazing team of professional engineers.
The incredible project domains you will work on:
Our Platform Engineering Teams work to provide impactful solutions at a massive scale. Our focus areas include:
Credit Reporting: Work in the heart and soul of our mission! Enable timely, accurate credit reporting to all major credit reporting agencies.
- Payments: Enable a highly available, secure, and feature rich customer payment experience across all of Self Financial’s products and services.
Bank Reporting: Enable timely, accurate reporting to all our partner banks.
Teams that make a difference; individuals that matter:
At Self Financial, we love to put challenges into the hands of talented individuals to solve. Our teams are composed of skilled software engineers who participate in all areas of our creation process including systems design, solution architecture, planning and execution. At Self, we welcome and celebrate team members who show initiative, creativity and drive and encourage individuals to make a direct impact on our mission.
What you'll do:
- Develop capabilities that support our credit building products and banking core systems.
- Develop services and infrastructure that provide essential functions at a massive scale.
- Work closely with product managers to build tools and systems required for us to service our financial products to our large customer base.
- Report to an engineering manager and work with our amazing team of professional engineers.
What we want you to have:
- 4+ years experience as a Backend Python Software Engineer with a focus on designing and building scalable applications.
- Solid understanding of software design principles, architectural patterns and best practices for building scalable and maintainable systems.
- In-depth knowledge of SQL, database systems and data modeling.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Experience designing, developing and leading on software development projects.
- Experience in the container space such as Docker.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), Jira, Confluence and similar platforms.
- A passion for learning, keeping up with technological advancements, and sharing knowledge with the team.
Preferred but not required:
- Experience with AWS or other related cloud architectures/services is a plus.
- Previous experience mentoring and guiding junior engineers is a plus.
Benefits and Perks:
We have the compensation and benefits you expect. But there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many companies cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. We are a team of Builders, empowering our customers to build their dreams. We have a Do the Right Thing ethos in all that we do, and we hope you value that approach, too.
Our perks include:
- Company Equity in the form of RSUs
- Quarterly performance-based bonuses
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Casual dress code
- Team building events and activities
- Remote work arrangements/ flexible work schedule
- Paid parental leave
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.