San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2021
About the Team
Scratch is building a loan repayment platform that puts borrowers first. We’re bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-billion dollar industry that hasn't seen an attempt at a tech solution in well over two decades.
Design is core to Scratch’s DNA—we were founded to deliver the best possible experiences for the borrowers we serve. Scratch fosters a culture of design by working cross-functionally to understand our users' pain points, design empowering solutions, and use data to validate our hypotheses. Designers at Scratch are systems thinkers and strategic partners. We’re a small but rapidly growing team that serves as the connective tissue among our internal teams and as a bridge between the company and our users.
About the role
We’re looking for a Product Designer to help lead the next generation of design for scratch. You'll design across our stack of consumer-facing mobile and web applications for our 3 types of users (borrowers, lenders and creditors.) You will work closely with cross-functional partners and leadership to define and shape the future of scratch. This is a unique opportunity to have significant impact and influence on a large and heavily used product. If you enjoy building products that are useful, if you thrive on converting complexity into easy to use and beautiful experiences, and if your motivated by helping users take better control of their financial well being then consider scratch.
In this role, you will:
- Design - Lead design of the scratch web and mobile app(s) across multiple surfaces and platforms
- Collaborate - Partner closely with a cross-functional team of designers, engineers, product managers, and ops specialists to re-invent the consumer experience of debt
- Leadership - Align your peers around product, technical and user needs to deliver meaningful, impactful, and easy to use experiences.
- Communicate - Clarify design decisions, share concepts and ideations, and present prototypes to a wide range of partners and peers
- Prioritize - Balance the fast moving needs of a new product gaining scale through the explore, expand and extract S-curve with purpose and intentionality
- Focus - Drive hard tradeoffs with your cross-functional team to deliver impact and integrity for our users needs and goals
- Systematize - Help to build and strengthen Scratch’s Design culture by fostering cross-disciplinary collaboration and championing design thinking
You will love this job if:
- You are passionate about our mission of changing the way people experience debt for the better
- You are a natural born collaborator, with designers and cross-functional partners
- You’re an excellent designer that takes pride in your craft and enjoys sweating the details
- You’re a self-starter who can make progress in the face of ambiguity
- You’re excited by the thought of converting complex systemic problems into easy to use solutions
- You are energized about working in a fast-paced startup environment and are flexible when it comes to adapting to change
- You are a strong communicator and facilitator that enjoys taking ideas and inputs from many stakeholders and synthesizing them into beautiful products and services
- You are humble and open to the idea that good ideas can come from anywhere
- You have a problem-solving mindset with a can-do attitude and you’re willing to dig in and do the hard work first.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- 4+ years experience product design
- You have experience designing and shipping consumer-facing mobile products
- You have a strong portfolio that reflects excellence and in-depth expertise in typography, interaction design, information architecture, and visual design.
In addition to your resume and cover letter, please include a link to a digital version of your portfolio, which should include at least 2-3 examples of relevant work. If there are specific projects you’d like us to look at, feel free to note them explicitly in the “Additional Information” field. Don’t forget to include the password if your site is password-protected!
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes.”
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience their debt. We believe that debt is one of those inevitable things that everyone has to deal with, yet few people are actually able to fully understand and wrangle with it in an effective manner.
By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-billion dollar industry that hasn’t seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch enables people to understand their debt, whether it be a personal loan, school loan, or mortgage.
We have built a small, but really amazing team consisting of folks who have built some very well-known products at Google, Dropbox, Amazon, Pinterest, Facebook, Affirm, and more. Our office is based in San Francisco.
Benefits we provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Cell phone reimbursement: We reimburse you $50 per month towards your cell phone bill.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.
See more open positions at Scratch Financial
Something looks off?