Software Engineer - All Levels
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, February 8, 2023
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience debt. Most of us take on debt to help us get ahead, or in many cases, to not fall behind. But for most of us—despite its necessity—once we have debt, it doesn't play a healthy role in our lives. It can be hard to understand, difficult to manage, and unaccommodating to changes in our lives.
This is why we started Scratch. We wanted to reinvent the loan servicing industry, well—from scratch. We wanted to create a world where debt plays a healthier and less taxing role in more people's lives. By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-trillion industry that hasn't seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch's platform empowers borrowers to have greater control, visibility and flexibility over their financial health, removing the traditional loan servicer from the equation altogether and bringing borrowers closer to their lenders.
Our team is rapidly growing and comes from diverse backgrounds including Dropbox, Pinterest, Prosper, Bloomberg and Ripple. Our office is based in San Francisco.
With a rapidly growing community of lenders and borrowers, we think it's time the world knows there's a better way to pay back their loans. We'd love for you to join in our mission and help play a role in changing the way we experience debt for the better!
Scratch’s technology stack presents many interesting challenges and opportunities for designing and architecting complex systems. Our APIs and user experiences serve many personas: Enterprise (Lenders, Creditors), Consumers (Borrowers, Borrower Guides, Internal Operations). What's at stake? Scratch aims to be the source of truth for trillions of dollars that will shape the future of loan servicing and debt. It's crucial that our novel platform ensures accuracy and precision on non-trivial math down to seven decimal places with zero data loss or security compromises, resiliency to handle a large number of loans at scale as well as the flexibility to handle new and innovative financial instruments.
Our team is highly collaborative and works from our SF office 3 days per week - please note that this role requires a hybrid work model.
About the role:
- Design core pieces of Scratch’s APIs and user experiences, optimizing for long-term maintainability, performance, and reliability.
- Architect and scale complex systems like our loan servicing engine and time-series database.
- Design core pieces of Scratch’s infrastructure, optimizing for long-term maintainability, performance, and reliability.
- Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core Scratch features, end-to-end.
- Our team is highly collaborative and works from our SF office 3 days per week - please note that this role requires a hybrid work model
You may be a good fit if:
- 2+ years industry experience.
- You enjoy being a generalist working on anything it takes to solve problems and delight users both internally and externally.
- You derive joy from refactoring and abstracting in order to make complex systems fun to develop on and easy to understand.
- You have experience leading engineering projects.
- You have experience in databases, distributed systems, and backend performance measurement and optimization.
- You have a strong background in computer science and mathematics.
- You thrive in in-office work cultures and are excited to collaborate with your team in person
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes”.
Benefits we Provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.