Senior Actuarial Analyst
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2023
Our health system is broken, and it’s a huge problem. Costs are rising out of control while the patient experience gets worse. At Sana, we're passionate about fixing this problem by bringing accessible and affordable health plans to small and medium businesses. We've built an innovative team with top talent from across the health insurance and tech industries to create engaging, modern plans for our clients. This allows our customers to offer competitive benefits packages while paying an average of 20% less than traditional plans.
We are seeking a creative, diligent and enthusiastic Actuarial Analyst to join our growing Insurance Operations (Pricing & Underwriting) team. This dynamic, high energy team works with Sana’s other functions to generate new sales, renew existing clients, and provide reporting and analytics. The ideal candidate will have excellent data and analytical skills, great attention to detail and can work within time sensitive deadlines. In addition, they should have strong interpersonal skills to work cross-functionally between a wide variety of teams.
What you will do
- Build and maintain tools for insurance pricing, claims analysis, and reporting
- Create and refine systems to monitor, analyze, and report on Sana’s historical performance
- Conduct independent analysis, generate insights, and translate them to recommended strategic or tactical actions
- Collaborate with Sana’s data and engineering team to build and maintain robust reporting databases, including identification and verification of new data sources, as well as improving pricing accuracy or tooling for the underwriting team
- Support Sana’s underwriting team and carry out quoting and experience rating processes as necessary
- Understand the needs of stakeholders and develop tools that facilitate speed and growth
- Develop tools which enhance Sana’s ability to identify and select risk or improve methods for prediction using advanced statistics or machine learning models
- Leverage your previous experience to bring actuarial, data and analysis best practices to the team
- Entrepreneurial, self-directed, and excited to build something from scratch and beyond the scope of traditional actuarial roles
- Proficient in Excel or SQL with some exposure to data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI) and/or coding (e.g. Python, R, VBA)
- 5+ years of analysis and reporting experience, preferably in a health-related or insurance-related field
- Ability to work with disparate data sets and produce meaningful reporting. Also comfortable making decisions with limited data.
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfortable with modern web applications. We are building our software in-house and you will be a key constituent in its development.
- Actively pursuing credentials or actuarial letters (ASA, FSA) are not required
- Experience in insurance pricing, including development of rate manuals or pricing tools is a bonus, but not required
- Values-oriented. You care about making our healthcare system work better for people and business owners.
- Gritty. You aren’t worried about getting your hands dirty and working hard when you need to.
- Comfortable with change and uncertainty. We are a startup and need people who are OK doing things outside of their traditional job description.
- Stock options in rapidly scaling startup
- Flexible vacation
- Medical, dental, and vision Insurance
- 401(k) and HSA plans
- Parental leave
- Remote worker stipend
- Wellness program
- Opportunity for career growth
- Dynamic start-up environment
Sana is a modern health plan solution for small and medium businesses. We use a more efficient financing structure and integrated technology solutions to cut out wasteful spending and get members access to better quality care at lower cost. Founded in 2017, we are an experienced team of engineers, designers and health system operators. We have the financial backing of Silicon Valley venture firms and innovative reinsurance partners. If you are excited about building something new and being a part of fixing our broken healthcare system from the inside, please reach out!
See more open positions at Sana Benefits
Something looks off?