Marketing & Communications
Posted on Thursday, March 9, 2023
Our health system is broken, and it’s a huge problem. Costs are rising out of control while the patient experience gets worse. At Sana, we're passionate about fixing this problem by bringing accessible and affordable health plans to small and medium businesses. We've built an innovative team with top talent from across the health insurance and tech industries to create engaging, modern plans for our clients. This allows our customers to offer competitive benefits packages while paying an average of 20% less than traditional plans.
We are looking for a detail-oriented, knowledgeable, and experienced underwriter to join our underwriting team, reporting to the Head of Insurance (MGU) Operations. You will use internal tools, software and underwriting models, combined with your research, analysis and prior experience to ensure accurate and timely delivery of quotes to support customer growth and retention as well as help develop and improve team underwriting processes. This will require management of workflows / queues and communications with a variety of teams such as Sales, Customer Success, Product, and Business Operations.
What you will do
- Manage one or more workflows / queues related to final quotes, claims experience rating, facultative approvals, and renewal quoting.
- Ensure the timely and accurate delivery of quotes for new business and renewals by performing your own research and analysis and consulting with our underwriting team, technology partners, and reinsurers as necessary
- Conduct data-driven analysis using limited information blended with human judgment where necessary. Document assumptions for shared team development and improvement as well as continued buildout of Sana’s proprietary data set.
- Serve as a thought partner to your teammates to analyze individual or group claims data on others’ cases and provide guidance and direction, leveraging your experience
- Partner with the underwriting team and leadership to develop, refine and utilize underwriting guidelines as well as developing underwriting best practices, training materials and process improvements
- Mentor less experienced team members
- 8+ years of underwriting experience small group medical, including some direct experience with level funded plans
- Comfortable managing a high volume of complex cases and making underwriting decisions using limited information.
- Solid analytics experience (e.g. Excel) and exposure to modern web applications (such as Salesforce, Asana, Notion, JIRA, Guru, etc.)
- Excellent communicator. You love building relationships with others, delivering a “wow” service experience to internal customers, and aren’t afraid of saying no when necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator
- Values-oriented. You care about making our healthcare system work better for people and business owners.
- Gritty. You aren’t worried about getting your hands dirty and working hard when you need to.
- Comfortable with change. We are a startup and need people who are ok doing things outside of their traditional job description
- Strong team player with a track record of working cross-functionally.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Flexible vacation
- Medical dental and vision Insurance
- Parental leave
- Wellness program
- Opportunity for career growth
- Dynamic start-up environment
Sana is a modern health plan solution for small and medium businesses. We use a more efficient financing structure and integrated technology solutions to cut out wasteful spending and get members access to better quality care at lower cost. Founded in 2017, we are an experienced team of engineers, designers and health system operators. We have the financial backing of Silicon Valley venture firms and innovative reinsurance partners. If you are excited about building something new and being a part of fixing our broken healthcare system from the inside, please reach out!
See more open positions at Sana Benefits
Something looks off?