Senior Back End Software Engineer (Remote)
Routable is a B2B payments platform built to make bill payments and mass payouts fast and seamless. Our mission is to be the simplest way to send and receive business-to-business payments. Unlike other payment platforms, Routable’s modern, easy-to-use API allows you to build a powerful payments infrastructure in minutes.
We’re a Series B startup with $46M in funding. We’re helping some of the largest marketplaces and gig economy companies, including Ticketmaster, Snackpass, and Garmentory. Hundreds of finance teams trust our decades of experience in building B2B payment solutions.
Our environment encourages intellectual curiosity, problem solving, and openness—one that provides the support and mentorship needed to succeed, learn, and grow. We'll make sure you have everything you need to do your best work and make an impact. We’re a fully remote startup with our team working from a city they love across the United States and Canada.
About the Role
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer, you will work directly with the product, design, and engineering teams to help shape our product and culture. We’re looking for a Backend Engineer who excels at creating software in all layers of a web platform, understands databases and SQL, and is passionate about using cutting edge SaaS web-based technologies. Your focus will be to deliver high quality software solutions in a rapidly evolving B2B payments environment. It’s a unique chance to be an advocate for our incredible coding standards, efficiency, and reliability.
Who we’re looking for
- You are a highly knowledgeable and experienced Backend SWE with deep experience in Python. Some Django experience would definitely be a plus.
- You are excited about building customer-facing features to help bring clarity to the confusing world of B2B payments.
- You are comfortable implementing integrations with third-party APIs.
- You think about testing while building a product.
- You are self-motivated and are comfortable working within a small team or independently when required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or the equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience with Python programming
- Experience with Relational databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc
- Experience working with various 3rd party integrations and APIs
- Working knowledge of asynchronous task queue or job queues and distributed message passing such as Celery, Dramatiq, RabbitMQ
- Experience writing automated integration and unit tests, using testing frameworks, and providing mentorship to other team members around testing approaches
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals (data representation, data structures, algorithms, object oriented programing, understanding of facade and adapter programming patterns)
- Ability and willingness to work with legacy systems, with excellent troubleshooting skills
- Ability to write robust and reusable components
- Experience with Team-based development, using an agile development methodology
- Impeccable communication skills, both written and verbal
- Self-awareness, a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and empathy
- Passionate about building great products, innovation and solving complex customer problems
Nice to have
- Experience with Django and Django Rest Framework
- Experience with building web applications, preferably in a start-up environment
- Experience with Payment processing and accounting practices
- Experience with Online Ledger Applications (e.g., NetSuite, XERO, QuickBooks, SageIntacct, etc)
You must be currently authorized to work in the United States, Canada or Europe on a full-time basis.
We are a remote first company! Rather than restrict ourselves to only find talent in one city, we’d rather find the absolute best people regardless of where they live.
The Senior Back End Software Engineer reports directly to our Engineering Manager, Ade Kongi.
Our Core Values
At Routable, we are driven by our values. Our values act as guiding principles when it comes to our work, our hiring practices, and ourselves. We talk about them every day and praise each other based on our ability to embody them.
💞 Engage with Empathy: Have empathy and a deep understanding for your peers, and our customers. This means no ego and cultivating relationships by actively listening to each other's needs.
🤝 Volunteer Assistance: Helping others is always a priority, even when it is not immediately related to the goals that we are trying to achieve. We make it a point to foster an environment of inclusiveness for our remote team.
💪 Own it: We are all company owners and we act like it. We make data driven decisions and jump at the opportunity to be accountable. Taking action when you see a problem is our default state.
🛠 Build with Purpose: We are collectively building the product and company of our dreams. We are intentional with everything we do and are always looking for ways to improve. We sweat the details.
🧬 Expect Authenticity: We do not compromise our values when it comes to our team and our customers. We champion originality. Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
🏥 Great Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
💲 Competitive salary
📈 Stock Options
🏝 Flexible vacation policy
💸 Work from Home Stipend
🚀 We're a remote team
🍼Paid Parental Leave (12 weeks)
Routable welcomes employees from varied backgrounds and walks of life, and it’s reflected in our diverse community of Routers. Routable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to administering personnel actions, including hiring, training, promoting and compensating its employees, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Our salary range for this role is $130,000- $160,000 - the exact salary offer will depend on the level of experience, role alignment, internal equity etc. We also offer equity and full benefits packages for FTEs. This only applies to employees residing in the US.