Director of Risk, Derivatives
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious, growth minded thinkers to help shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future. If you’re invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world — we’d love to have you apply.
About the team + role
Robinhood is looking for a First Line Margin Risk Director to define and lead the evolution of its brokerage financial risk management function. This person will partner with business leaders to influence the end-to-end design and daily oversight of first line risk management for the brokerage organization. This role is at the leading edge of Robinhood next generation risk management and requires a deep understanding of Reg T and futures risk best practices blended with development of real time systems, understanding and communication of regulatory requirements, and defining desired customer experience. The risk organization is expected to increase in complexity and scale over time, relying on this person to define and adapt frameworks and the team tasked with supporting them. You will champion methodologies in real time risk management as well as forecasting and designing experiments to gauge firm risk in various market stress scenarios. This person is expected to bring extensive risk management experience and be able to communicate complex risk topics to an array of internal audiences of varying sophistication. The ideal candidate has superb verbal communication skills with a proven presentation track record and is able to clearly and effectively relay information to any business line during times of stress.
It is preferred that this role is located in one of the office locations listed on this job description which will align with our in-office working environment. This position is only eligible for remote work in limited geographies within the US where we do not have physical office locations. Please connect with your recruiter for more information regarding our in-office philosophy and expectations.
What you’ll do
- Define clear Reg T and futures risk management processes and implement alongside engineering, operations and customer experience
- Drive the importance of risk culture and embed it firmwide, inclusive of customer-first risk principles
- Develop a real-time risk and credit program to take action on at-risk accounts for reasons relating to firm policy, market conditions, or individual account behavior.
- Provide risk-specific executive communications and support communications counsel
- Coordinate and manage across different organizational verticals, knowing how financial risk intertwines them all
- Build and enhance the team(s) tasked with Robinhood financial risk management.
- Collect research and analyze client account information including futures, high value equities, and complex options to determine margin call and risk.
- Participate in cross-functional initiatives aimed at strengthening trade risk management, formulating policy in response to changes in the market and the market place, and improve systems used to manage risk and execute client orders
- Stay up-to-date on changes in the trading markets and changes in regulatory rules, guidance and structure
- Develop an internal risk brand and prepare to be the subject matter expert for all things first line brokerage risk related at Robinhood
- Manage regulatory backlogs including margin calls and margin violations
What you bring
- 10+ years proven experience in first line brokerage risk management across all products, inclusive of Reg T and futures
- A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience years business experience in Business or Finance
- Series 7 and 63 required, Series 3 preferred
- Exceptional writing, editing, and presentation skills
- Experience building relationships with diverse stakeholders and company leaders
- Proven track record of managing programs and organizational changes
- Comfort leading in a tech-first company and engineering domain
- Eagerness and aptitude to learn a new environment quickly and explain risk subject matter effectively
- Dedication to cultivating community in work, school, or volunteer settings
What we offer
- Market competitive and pay equity-focused compensation structure
- 100% paid health insurance for employees with 90% coverage for dependents
- Annual lifestyle wallet for personal wellness, learning and development, and more!
- Lifetime maximum benefit for family forming and fertility benefits
- Dedicated mental health support for employees and eligible dependents
- Generous time away including company holidays, paid time off, sick time, parental leave, and more!
- Lively office environment with catered meals, fully stocked kitchens, and geo-specific commuter benefits
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $230000 - $270000
US Zone 2: $202000 - $238000
US Zone 3: $179000 - $211000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, CA; New York, NY; Seattle, WA; Washington, D.C.
US Zone 2: Denver, CO; Westlake (Dallas), TX; Chicago, IL
US Zone 3: Lake Mary, FL
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.