Senior Software Engineer, Container Orchestration
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious, growth minded thinkers to help shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future. If you’re invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world — we’d love to have you apply.
Robinhood has a primary in-office working environment; please be sure you have reviewed the preferred working location(s) for this role before applying.
About the team + role
The mission of the Software Platform organization, of which Container Orchestration is a part, is to accelerate developer velocity and increase system reliability by building the foundational software platforms and tools that power the rest of Robinhood engineering.
The Container Orchestration team at Robinhood is solely responsible for building a highly available, horizontally scalable, secure, best in the industry (for Robinhood scale) offering of Kubernetes-powered container provisioning APIs that seamlessly integrate with the rest of infrastructure and platform offerings from other teams. This team’s primary focus is to proactively ensure scalability, reliability and availability of our Kubernetes distribution. This includes the deployment topology and configuration of the OSS components we build upon and all the extensions we build.
Container Orchestration is responsible for defining and implementing a cell based, multi-region architecture for Robinhood’s platform and infrastructure services. This helps the platform services scale without adding additional complexity to our application developers. APIs and systems managed by this team are also responsible for transparent platform integrations (sidecars, daemonsets) that offer core capabilities (Auth, Security, DNS, Load Balancing, Storage) offered to the tenants (applications) making this an area of huge importance to the overall safety and reliability of Robinhood and its value to be a safety-first company.
What you’ll do
- Design large scale systems within the team, making the right tradeoffs for risk and long-term maintainability.
- Proactively identify and drive optimizations and improvements to the infrastructure and systems.
- Set up and drive technical directions of the project while mentor and up-level junior engineers on the team.
- Contribute to open source projects.
What you bring
- Experienced knowledge of Kubernetes control plane and data plane components.
- Strong understanding of the Kubernetes Platform and container lifecycle management.
- Experience with Kubernetes multi-cluster challenges and Kubernetes networking (e.g. CNI deployment and troubleshooting).
- Experience managing and debugging large scale infrastructure services in production.
- A passion for mentoring junior engineers and improving engineering craftsmanship.
- Open source contributions to Kubernetes and other related projects.
- Prior experience scaling the Kubernetes platform at high-growth startups
- Experience designing and managing other distributed systems at scale.
What we offer
- Market competitive and pay equity-focused compensation structure
- 100% paid health insurance for employees with 90% coverage for dependents
- Annual lifestyle wallet for personal wellness, learning and development, and more!
- Lifetime maximum benefit for family forming and fertility benefits
- Dedicated mental health support for employees and eligible dependents
- Generous time away including company holidays, paid time off, sick time, parental leave, and more!
- Lively office environment with catered meals, fully stocked kitchens, and geo-specific commuter benefits
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $187000 - $220000
US Zone 2: $165000 - $194000
US Zone 3: $146000 - $172000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.