Assistant General Counsel, Privacy and Data Protection
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious, growth minded thinkers to help shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future. If you’re invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world — we’d love to have you apply.
Robinhood has a primary in-office working environment; please be sure you have reviewed the preferred working location(s) for this role before applying.
About the team + role
Robinhood’s legal team is looking for an Assistant General Counsel to join our growing Privacy and Data Protection legal team. This role reports directly to our Vice President and Chief Privacy Officer. We are looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility and patience. You will help lead our efforts to embed privacy principles in our strategic and tactical processes.This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing company and contribute to our mission to democratize finance for all.
What you’ll do
- Maintain subject matter expertise in areas of privacy and data protection laws (including state and federal consumer protection and privacy laws, GDPR and other global privacy and data protection laws) and advise on their impact on Robinhood’s businesses
- Provide advice regarding Robinhood’s systems and how best to make sure that the enterprise is in compliance
- Assist product lawyers in evaluating the impact of privacy and data protection laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions, and other related guidelines on product features and support operations
- Focus on marketing and adtech, which would include having a developed understanding of mobile apps, interest-based advertising and relevant privacy laws
- Maintain expertise in Artificial Intelligence and machine learning in the privacy and fintech context
- Maintain expertise in peer-to-peer payment flows and payment ecosystem technologies and their privacy and data security implications
- Provide advice and be able to develop, implement and maintain data protection policies and procedures enterprise-wide
- Build systems and processes to support scalable privacy program
- Draft and oversee the development and management of Robinhood’s data policies and practices standards
- Develop and conduct general and role-specific privacy trainings
- Collaborate closely with the Security and Engineering teams and create effective, cross functional relationships with multiple stakeholders across the enterprise
What you bring
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least 1 U.S. state bar
- 5+ years of legal practice experience specializing in privacy law
- Experience with GDPR, CCPA and other privacy laws and regulations
- Experience with consumer-facing technology and/or financial services companies
- Track record of developing practical solutions to novel problems
- In-house legal experience
- Exceptional project management skills
What we offer
- Market competitive and pay equity-focused compensation structure
- 100% paid health insurance for employees with 90% coverage for dependents
- Annual lifestyle wallet for personal wellness, learning and development, and more!
- Lifetime maximum benefit for family forming and fertility benefits
- Dedicated mental health support for employees and eligible dependents
- Generous time away including company holidays, paid time off, sick time, parental leave, and more!
- Lively office environment with catered meals, fully stocked kitchens, and geo-specific commuter benefits
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $230000 - $270000
US Zone 2: $202000 - $238000
US Zone 3: $179000 - $211000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.