Database Site Reliability Engineer
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious, growth minded thinkers to help shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future. If you’re invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world — we’d love to have you apply.
Robinhood has a primary in-office working environment; please be sure you have reviewed the preferred working location(s) for this role before applying.
About the role:
The preferred location for this position is in or around Robinhood's offices in Seattle, WA, Menlo Park, CA, or New York City with in-office work capabilities, as may be required by management, but remote work in limited geographies within the U.S. may be considered. Check with your recruiter for more information.
We’re a rapidly growing team serving a highly ambitious engineering organization. The Software Platform organization provides the infrastructure required for our product and ensures developer velocity and system stability. Our work spans multiple areas including architecture, the software development lifecycle, cloud infrastructure, networking, online data processing, reliability and more.
At Robinhood, the data our customers entrust with us is equivalent to our customers’ financial assets and life savings and therefore represents one of the paramount responsibilities we have to our customers. The safekeeping of the data storage is the responsibility of the storage team, and we aim to make it easy to set up and use reliable and proven storage systems. We don’t lose our users’ data...ever.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Combine software and systems knowledge to engineer high-volume distributed systems in a reliable, scalable, and fault-tolerant manner.
- Enjoy administering relational/non-relation databases at internet scale.
- Continually optimize systems and workflows by improving infrastructure, automation, CI/CD, and observability.
- Act as an owner and leader of Robinhood's infrastructure by ensuring project infrastructure needs are met and working proactively with customer teams to help them improve reliability and set best practices
- Provide mentorship both formally and informally to engineers at Robinhood, define and formalize the architecture design process and guide the overall architectural direction
- Represent Robinhood in the technology community
- Fluent in one or more programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java)
- Experience administering databases - PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Experience with scalable distributed systems, both built from scratch as well as on AWS primitives as
- A focus on software engineering best practices such as testing, static analysis, continuous integration, delivery, and deployment
- Passionate about learning and using new technologies
- Ability to use data to make decisions
- Ability to debug complex systems
- A minimum of 5 years of industry experience
- Intimate familiarity of Python/Django or Go
- Experience with high-growth startups
- Strong open source contributions
Technologies we use:
- Python, Django/DRF
- CI/CD and test automation frameworks
- Container and container orchestration technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Cloud-native infrastructure (AWS, GCP)
- Linux internals and network configuration and protocols
- Infrastructure as Code and configuration management (Terraform, SaltStack)
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $157,000 - $185,000
US Zone 2: $139,000 - $163,000
US Zone 3: $122,000 - $144,000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.