Staff Software Engineer, Market Data
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. Joining now means helping shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the competitive products and company culture we continue to build and have been recognized as:
- Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2020
- TIME100 Most Influential Companies 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces in Financial Services & Insurance™ 2021 and Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials™ 2021
About the team:
The preferred location for this position is in or around Robinhood's offices in Menlo Park, CA, Seattle, WA or New York City, New York, with in-office work capabilities, as may be required by management.
Trading Platform Fractional Trading Team owns backend systems for supporting multiple Robinhood businesses lines that rely on fractional trading features, either notional or share based, such as Equities and Retirement. The team handles some of the most complex trading challenges in the company from both tech and regulatory perspectives. We target to build the next generation of trading experience for our customers with fractional trading features.
You will gain a unique look into how the US financial systems work, and collaborate with experienced trading industry professionals as cross-functional partners.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Design large scale systems within Fractional Trading, making the right tradeoffs for risk and long-term maintainability.
- Lead, build, test, and release trading backend features with stringent correctness, performance and scalability requirements;
- Proactively identify and drive improvements on service architecture and performance, testing procedures and operational excellence.
- Proactively identify and drive optimizations and improvements on service architecture and performance, testing procedures and operational excellence.
- Drive discussions and alignments with cross functional partners, product and infrastructure teams.
- 8+ years of software engineering experience.
- Proficient with relational databases and transactions, and familiarity with writing highly concurrent systems with HTTP or GRPC APIs.
- Demonstrated history of providing firm-wide impact with self-sufficiency, as well as planning and leading large projects with long-term impact.
- Ability to solve complex engineering problems that deliver results which help the team to achieve its objective with excellent task prioritizations.
- Demonstrated strong technical leadership on teams, and the ability to influence team roadmap.
- Intimate familiarity of Go
- Experience with FIX protocol.
- Experience working on trading systems.
Technologies we use:
- Go as the main languages and frameworks of choice.
- PostgreSQL as our primary data store.
- Memcached as our caching layer.
- Kafka as event streaming and data integration.
- FIX as financial information exchange.
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $217000 - $255000
US Zone 2: $190000 - $224000
US Zone 3: $169000 - $199000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.