Staff Software Engineer, Reference Data
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. Joining now means helping shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future.
About the team:
Reference Data’s charter is to provide reliable and mission-critical reference data to all services in Robinhood. As the most foundational team in Brokerage, we want to enable our users to invest in any asset, anytime, any way, and from anywhere.
Reference Data Platform is a centralized high-availability and low-latency service to offer accurate reference data to services in Robinhood which includes: instrument symbology, corporate actions, fundamentals, entity information, Robinhood’s data overlays, and more. It is the most core service in the dependency stack of our critical systems. Nearly every Robinhood feature operates with some Reference Data involvement.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Technical Vision & Strategy: Plan, design, and lead new development toward a scalable, reliable, and performant platform for ingesting, processing, and delivering data to internal services.
- Technical Leadership: Drive technical direction by keeping a pulse on the teams’ projects to provide feedback, perform architecture reviews, and help make key decisions as needed.
- Engineering Excellence: Deeply understand the operational challenges the team faces and collaborate to create new, self-sustaining processes that adhere to industry best practices and standards. This is to drive excellence in areas such as testing, on call, CI/CD, release management, DevEx, and more.
- Mentorship: Lead and mentor a team of software engineers, providing technical guidance, reviews, and generally up-leveling the team.
- Software Development: Take a hands-on approach by owning and implementing solutions for critical and/or particularly complex projects.
- Collaboration: Navigate conversations and align on tough decisions with numerous stakeholders while representing this critical, foundational service.
What we’re looking for:
- Experience architecting and designing large scale distributed systems.
- Experience with data integration technologies, message queues, and workflow architectures.
- Ability leading platform teams of 6 or more engineers to drive technical improvements, while continuing to have business-wide impact.
- Strong proficiency in programming languages such as Python or Go, and experience with large areas of the team’s tech stack (Postgres, Kafka, K8s, Airflow, Redis or similar technologies).
- Strong communication and collaboration abilities, with a proven track record of working effectively in large, cross-functional teams.
- Experience at a fintech company or financial firm working on reference data systems.
Technologies we use:
- Python + Django
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $217000 - $255000
US Zone 2: $190000 - $224000
US Zone 3: $169000 - $199000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.