Markets Writer, Sherwood Media
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. Joining now means helping shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future.
About the team:
This Markets Writer role will be based in New York, NY or Menlo Park, CA joining our growing News team.
The story of money is the story of culture, and Sherwood is the secret weapon for the next generation of investor. Our team strives to make financial news more accessible, entertaining, and relevant by changing the way it is curated, shared, and consumed by the next generation. We already serve tens of millions of readers via our flagship newsletter Snacks; this summer we’ll be expanding and launching a web destination, building on our mission to provide strategies, new perspectives, analysis, in-depth reporting, surprising storytelling, inventive information, and most importantly, context to financial news. We aim to be a 24-hour news team, making real-time decisions based on key events and what our audience cares about.
You're a financial writer who is deeply entrenched in market news. You're driven to dig beneath headlines to understand what company news means for shareholders and the public; how the economy connects to the markets; how tech, social issues, and consumer trends shape business, and what private company innovation means for public markets. We are looking for a specialist to join the team, not a generalist – you should have a vision for all the ways existing coverage underserves modern audiences, and creative ideas on how to break through the noise.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- As part of the Sherwood Media team, you’ll be on the pulse of the daily financial news cycle. You'll work closely with News editors and writers to pitch, develop, write and refine stand-out financial stories, crafted for our customers, not financiers.
- Your core responsibility is researching and writing incisive news stories and analysis to shape Sherwood’s editorial voice, as well as owning recurring features like opinion columns, interviews, and long form reporting.
- You’ll help pitch, research and fact check story coverage.
- We’ll lean on you to help share and execute experiments and initiatives, finding new, strategic ways to reach customers with helpful, compelling coverage.
- You'll help ensure our news products span a balance of perspectives and topics, and uphold Sherwood’s editorial and ethics standards.
- Here, you will have the opportunity to transform your career in a dynamic environment that supports excellence and autonomy.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in a newsroom setting
- Previous experience covering news, working in, and reacting to breaking-news situations
- Knowledge of other key editorial players in the landscape and the desire to hone Sherwood’s distinct voice
- A love for news and keen editorial judgment. You’re eager to make people’s financial lives better through news that delivers key insights and education
- Quick. Clear. Engaging. You’re able to break down financial concepts and make them easy to understand and digestible for a broad audience
- You’re not satisfied with a summary — you can find "the story within a story," and connect events to the bigger picture
- You have an ownership mentality. You're constantly looking for your next story, and are driven to hone your craft and find better ways to serve customers
- You prioritize quality and pay strong attention to detail, factual precision, and nuance
- Flexibility and willingness to collaborate cross-functionally, experiment, and develop new tools
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $119000 - $140000
US Zone 2: $105000 - $123000
US Zone 3: $93000 - $109000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.
Something looks off?