Senior Data Engineer
Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance. Check out remote.com/how-it-works to learn more or if you’re interested in adding to the mission, scroll down to apply now.
Please take a look at remote.com/handbook to learn more about our culture and what it is like to work here. Not only do we encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply, but we prioritize a sense of belonging. You can check out independent reviews by other candidates on Glassdoor or look up the results of our candidate surveys to see how others feel about working and interviewing here.
All of our positions are fully remote. You do not have to relocate to join us!
This is an exciting time to join Remote and make a personal difference in the global employment space as a Senior Data Engineer II, joining our Data team, composed of Data Analysts and Data Engineers. We support the decision making and operational reporting needs by being able to translate data into actionable insights to non-data professionals at Remote. We’re mainly using SQL, Python, Meltano, Airflow, Redshift, Metabase and Retool.
This role follows the Senior Engineer II role on the Remote Career paths.
What this job can offer you
- Playing a key role in Data Platform Development & Maintenance:
- Managing and maintaining the organization's data platform, ensuring its stability, scalability, and performance.
- Collaboration with cross-functional teams to understand their data requirements and optimize data storage and access, while protecting data integrity and privacy.
- Development and testing architectures that enable data extraction and transformation to serve business needs.
- Improving further our Data Pipeline & Monitoring Systems:
- Designing, developing, and deploying efficient Extract, Load, Transform (ELT) processes to acquire and integrate data from various sources into the data platform.
- Identifying, evaluating, and implementing tools and technologies to improve ELT pipeline performance and reliability.
- Ensuring data quality and consistency by implementing data validation and cleansing techniques.
- Implementing monitoring solutions to track the health and performance of data pipelines and identify and resolve issues proactively.
- Conducting regular performance tuning and optimization of data pipelines to meet SLAs and scalability requirements.
- Dig deep into DBT Modelling:
- Designing, developing, and maintaining DBT (Data Build Tool) models for data transformation and analysis.
- Collaboration with Data Analysts to understand their reporting and analysis needs and translate them into DBT models, making sure they respect internal conventions and best practices.
- Driving our Culture of Documentation:
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation, including data dictionaries, process flows, and architectural diagrams.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams, including Data Analysts, SREs (Site Reliability Engineers) and Software Engineers, to understand their data requirements and deliver effective data solutions.
- Sharing knowledge and offer mentorship, providing guidance and advice to peers and colleagues, creating an environment that empowers collective growth
What you bring
- 5+ years of experience in data engineering; high-growth tech company experience is a plus
- Strong experience with building data extraction/transformation pipelines (e.g. Meltano, Airbyte) and orchestration platforms (e.g. Airflow)
- Strong experience in working with SQL, data warehouses (e.g. Redshift) and data transformation workflows (e.g. dbt)
- Solid experience using CI/CD (e.g. Gitlab, Github, Jenkins)
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Metabase) is considered a plus
- A self-starter mentality and the ability to thrive in an unstructured and fast-paced environment
- You have strong collaboration skills and enjoy mentoring
- You are a kind, empathetic, and patient person
- Writes and speaks fluent English
- It's not required to have experience working remotely, but considered a plus
- You'll report to: Engineering Manager - Data
- Team: Data
- Location: For this position we welcome everyone to apply, but we will prioritise applications from the following locations as we encourage our teams to diversify; Vietnam, Indonesia, Taiwan and South-Korea
- Start date: As soon as possible
Remote Compensation Philosophy
- Interview with recruiter
- Interview with future manager
- Async exercise stage
- Interview with team members
- Prior employment verification check (Read more at remote.com/employment-checks)
- work from anywhere
- unlimited personal time off (minimum 4 weeks)
- quarterly company-wide day off for self care
- flexible working hours (we are async)
- 16 weeks paid parental leave
- mental health support services
- stock options
- learning budget
- home office budget & IT equipment
- budget for local in-person social events or co-working spaces
How you’ll plan your day (and life)
We work async at Remote which means you can plan your schedule around your life (and not around meetings). Read more at remote.com/async.
You will be empowered to take ownership and be proactive. When in doubt you will default to action instead of waiting. Your life-work balance is important and you will be encouraged to put yourself and your family first, and fit work around your needs.
If that sounds like something you want, apply now!
How to apply
- Please fill out the form below and upload your CV with a PDF format.
- We kindly ask you to submit your application and CV in English, as this is the standardised language we use here at Remote.
- If you don’t have an up to date CV but you are still interested in talking to us, please feel free to add a copy of your LinkedIn profile instead.
We will ask you to voluntarily tell us your pronouns at interview stage, and you will have the option to answer our anonymous demographic questionnaire when you apply below. As an equal employment opportunity employer it’s important to us that our workforce reflects people of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences and this data will help us to stay accountable. We thank you for providing this data, if you chose to.