Business Development & Partnerships
Pinwheel - Building a fairer financial system by unlocking API access to payroll systems.
More than half of Americans have a poor credit score or no score at all. Since most financial institutions rely on traditional credit scoring to assess risk, that means these people can't access affordable financial products. Instead, they resort to high-interest credit cards, payday loans, and trigger overdraft fees to make ends meet — which push them into deeper cycles of debt.
Pinwheel provides an API platform that makes it easy to connect payroll accounts like ADP and Gusto to any app. By unlocking the wealth of identity, income and employment data that sits in these systems, alongside direct access to paychecks, we can help build the next generation of financial products that increase access for the underserved while improving the businesses of our partner fintechs, banks, and lenders.
Who are we looking for?
As an aggregation business, one of the most important aspects of our organization is our partnerships with payroll providers, gig platforms, and other sources of income and employment data (the supply side). Brokering deals for the right data on the right terms as quickly as possible is necessary to the long-term success of the business. On the demand side, we are forging partnerships with B2B companies who build businesses on top of our API. Across both sides, we're looking for someone who will help develop the strategy around our partner ecosystem and negotiate deals. You are a motivated, curious, and thoughtful person who has experience navigating complex business relationships, always finding a way to align incentives. If you will break down walls to solve a problem, think things through from a fundamentals perspective, and are motivated by increasing maximum impact, we'd love to hear from you!
What will you do?
- Strike and negotiate deals on both the supply side and demand side of our partnerships business.
- Develop an understanding and perspective around both the "supply side" and “demand side” of our partner ecosystem.
- Create a strategy around how to maximize coverage of providers and quality of data.
- Help establish success metrics and implement the strategy to meet those KPIs.
- Build relationships with stakeholders across the entire partner ecosystem.
- Understand our product and platform to be an advisor to partners, helping them see the value of a partnership with Pinwheel.
What qualifications are necessary?
- 5+ years of experience in business development or partnerships at a high-growth startup where your work had an outsized impact on success.
- History of closing multiple complex deals with (a) clear success metrics and (b) a well-defined approach to negotiation.
- Have a natural bias for action when solving problems.
- Experience communicating with both internal and external (partners, customers, legal, product, etc.) stakeholders.
- Experience managing contracts and working with legal teams.
- Project management expertise.
- Experience building the software infrastructure for partnership teams to scale - such as Salesforce, partner portals, ecosystem websites, etc.
Why join Pinwheel?
Best Time to Join - We are small but well-funded, meaning you get the upside of starting on the bottom floor with minimal risk.
Be a Cultural Founder - You will have an active hand in molding our culture and being a part of the growth journey.
Build Something Revolutionary - Help build the consumer data infrastructure of the future.
- Great compensation & equity packages
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Life & short-term disability insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Paid parental leave
- 401K for retirement planning
- Mentorship opportunities
- Free Citibike membership
- Pet friendly offices and Zoom spaces
At Pinwheel, total compensation is made up of salary + equity + benefits. We recruit motivated and high performing talent, and work to compensate people in line with the value they can bring to the organization in delivering outsized results. The talent market is competitive, and maintaining our ability to recruit and retain the best team possible is a top priority for Pinwheel. When creating an offer, we consider interview performance, candidate experience, external market competitiveness, and internal equity in thoughtfully assessing compensation. The expected cash salary range for this role is $175k-190k, and the expected total cash compensation is $225k-275k.
Diversity & Inclusion at Pinwheel
At Pinwheel, we are committed to building an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We believe that having people across different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives enables us not only to build the best financial products, but to help us realize the best versions of ourselves. Pinwheel is an equal opportunity employer, and we aim to be an open and supportive place to work.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, Pinwheel requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as permitted under applicable law.
Something looks off?